I cant belive that the mutron iii is not used

Moderator: interruptor

Radar

Post by Radar » Wed May 30, 2001 12:38 pm

Why is there not more use of the good old mutron iii on bass it give that whhoouut sound that if then eq'd for bottom kicks big ass &#40;listen to bootsy collins then imagine a tamer variation in a dub bassline. <BR> <BR> Comments welcome

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Wed May 30, 2001 4:44 pm

Mutron III is good for the QUACK..Bootsy style or Michael Henderson on Miles Davis on the Corner era funk lines. But in dub...as i just posted--you want bass, not quack.. the good thing to do is set your ev filter pedal so it won't open &#40;quack&#41;, then tune the filter and resonance to the key you are in. You'll get a huge low end..most times too big for a recording UNLESS the engineer knows dub..for good examples of this, listen to Bill Laswell, he does it all the time. <BR> <BR>a great cheap choice for a pedal like this is a used DOD fx 25..the green one with two knobs..it has a nice low end and can also be used for the funk. Should be about $30 used..way cheaper and to the point than a $250 Mutron. <BR>jp

Looter

Post by Looter » Thu May 31, 2001 6:02 am

Can someone explain this "quack" thing some more for me? Is there any way I can replicate the effect with sound processing software?

johnp352

Post by johnp352 » Thu May 31, 2001 12:26 pm

QUACK! is the sound of an envelope filter opening up. Listen to the bass lines on Miles Davis "On the Corner" cd..or the riddimic chord work of Bernie Worrell ..Or Bootsy..If you don't have an ev pedal, you can try it with a wah pedal: hit a note with the pedal down, then shift it up..shift it back after the note dies...on each note..your foot is getting tired..that is why there is a pedal to do this automatically, and it responds dynamically. <BR> <BR>I have tried lots of software ev filters, and some of them are good &#40;the ohm force frohmage is cool and free too&#41;, but this is an organic thang..the pedal/filter responds depending on how hard you play; it's not a software, programmable type of effect. &#40; though i am sure the many software people here will have found a way around this..&#41; it takes practice and a good sense of riddim to get it right..otherwise it sounds like a cliche', and you know we don't need anymore of THAT. <BR> <BR>when recording this, it's always a good idea to run the effect on a separate channel, leaving the original signal unaffected. i also do that live, because unless you are using it for an effect /tone control with the filter unopened, you can lose some low end. some pedals have blend controls for this, but..MAN this is getting long....

Looter

Post by Looter » Mon Jul 02, 2001 8:25 pm

How did LSP "play" the Mutron? I'm just starting to understand filters and I'm interested in their use dubwise.

johnp352

Post by johnp352 » Tue Jul 03, 2001 2:23 pm

the Mutron that L$P usually "played" was a bi-phase..not the mutron III envelope filter we have been discussing..2 different things. you've seen the movie roots rock reggae, where he is twisting knobs on a big silver box next to the desk? that's the bi-phase, and in the movie you can hear the effect it has on the riddim guitar as he dials it in and out. sort of a swooshing sound, you'll know it immediately..you can also play an ev filter this way..though i think L$P used the tone controls on the desk rather than a separate filter pedal like a mutron III, which is built for a different purpose. <BR> <BR>usuually there's a filter for mids that's built into the desk, you can sweep this manually. there's lots of other ways..running things into another channel and cutting off certain freq's..having a box that kills and/or sweeps freq's..having an lfo on the freq sweeps that goes in time to the beat..lots of ways to do it.

Radar

Post by Radar » Fri Jul 06, 2001 12:36 am

after much farting about i now beleive the mutron iii to be the best new bread dub tool ever so there!

Looter

Post by Looter » Mon Jul 09, 2001 8:27 pm

Ok, I got the mutron III and the bi-phase mixed up. Let me make sure i undrestand now, the bi-phase is just like it sounds, a double phaser, right? And the III is an envelope filter. What can i do dubwise with the filter that i cant just do with the sweepable EQ on my mixer?

Looter

Post by Looter » Thu Jan 17, 2002 11:33 pm

Okay, here's a question for the mutron III owners: <BR> <BR>If you could get a custom made mutron III clone, what modifications to the original design would you like it to have? I'm just curious because I've talked to someone who will build one of these clones to any specs you give him and i find the idea very interesting. So, I'm just looking for observations about making the III more suited for dubbing, if that's possible. <BR> <BR>-Looter

Nematod

Post by Nematod » Fri Jan 18, 2002 9:39 am

theres been a few good ev's been released lately , www.frostwave .com have a really cool one , check out the sound samples - and its cv controllable !

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:15 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:05 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:48 am

DELETED