Anyone using Reason for Dub? looking for collaboration

Moderator: interruptor

johnp352

Post by johnp352 » Sat Sep 08, 2001 1:37 pm

Anyone one here using the Propellerhead Reason program for making dub? The Reason Station and Prop sites are full of songs/mixers/writers, some of which even use the word "dub", but after a listen....none seem to know what dub is about. <BR> <BR>So- <BR> <BR> I have begun to set up some "studios" in Reason with good efx units, as well as some sub bass synths and plenty of samplers and Rex players. I am trying to run this in sync with an Akai 12 track hard disk recorder, which also feeds an old 8x4x4 analog desk &#40;which i use for an efx board, patching in various analog efx which are run on faders&#41;. iow, a hybrid digital/analog dub system, all of which, due to Reason's ability to be controlled via midi, can be adjusted on the fly. It's been a massive headache to set up though, and i'd sure like to find some other people doing the same sort of ting. <BR> <BR>I primarily play bass and melodica. In addition I am doing drum programming/keys/sample flying/saxophone emulating. My music falls in between 70's JA dub &#40;closer to Tubby than LSP in that respect&#41;, and the newer experiments of Jah Wobble, TDC and Dry &#43; Heavy. No electro, no "techno", maybe a nod in the direction of early Dancehall..but mostly heavy roots with realtime playing and mixing. <BR> <BR> Any collaborators/help/commisurations appreciated. I am especially interested in working with any reed and/or saxophone players who understand dub, and have ideas and pc studios to put them down. <BR> <BR>best, <BR>jp

munky lee

Post by munky lee » Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:11 am

I work now with reason. I really enjoy the synth, sampler, fxs and desk, and all the possibilities to plug all this. <BR>and I want to use it for live playing. I just wait to buy a soundcard with 8 analog line outs to plug on my mackie desk. so I will be able to mix my tunes live.

digikal rootz

Post by digikal rootz » Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:30 pm

yeh digikal roots here, most of my dub is done in reason 2/cubase.Fx r limited but its the sound manipulation with limited gear that excites "dub heads". Keep dubbin everyone!!!!! <BR>Peace digi rootz..............

sorce

Post by sorce » Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:42 am

I'd love to hear some stuff John <BR>Dany

Chino

Post by Chino » Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:39 pm

I use Reason2 to make some "dub noise". I find it great and I&acute;m trying to combine it with Cubase for best results. <BR>I&acute;m from Argentina and I enjoy this forum. <BR>If someone speak spanish: welcome! <BR> <BR>Chino from B.A.S.S. &#40;Buenos Aires Sound System&#41; <BR><A HREF="mailto:bass@enaudio.net.ar">bass@enaudio.net.ar</A>

Looter

Post by Looter » Sat Jan 18, 2003 10:41 pm

Yeah, I just downloaded the reason demo. it looks cool, like hardware. I'm going to have to learn a lot about it before i can make something really creative but it looks like a really cool piece of software. I'll probably have many questions in the future about dubbing with reason but for now, can anyone give me some basic pointers on using reason to it's fullest? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR> <BR>Kevin

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:57 am

For those who haven't seen it yet: Propellerheads teamed up with Mad Professor to convince us of Reason's Dub abilities.. <BR>check <A HREF="http://www.propellerheads.se/replacehar ... .htm">this demo page</A> with a Mad Professor Dub in reason native format and as an MP3 file.

john

Post by john » Fri Feb 21, 2003 4:44 pm

the MP stuff is ok...but a little too slick for me. Reason can do a lot more than this lets on, though the routing for the efx in the reason file is inneresting. There's also a fine "spring reverb" file available now, making the Reason reverb more rootswise. <BR> <BR>still doesn't come close to the Fisher though.

munky lee

Post by munky lee » Fri Feb 21, 2003 5:11 pm

tell me more about this spring reverb file! <BR> <BR>is it a system file to put in the reason program directory or what? <BR> <BR>where to find it? <BR> <BR>cheers, <BR>mat

john

Post by john » Fri Feb 21, 2003 7:18 pm

it's an rns file..a song file containing an efx routing...at Peff's site...scroll down to the spring reverb rns <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.peff.com/home/index.html" TARGET="_top">http://www.peff.com/home/index.html</A> <BR> <BR>there's some other good stuff there too, but not dubwise

monty dan

Post by monty dan » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:46 pm

i been using Reason for a while now ,making dub stuff,i think its quite good seeing as i had absolutly no experiance in making tunes b4 i got it&#40;if u like u can check em out @ <A HREF="http://www.reasonstation.net/users/user ... ?user=9205" TARGET="_top">http://www.reasonstation.net/users/user ... 05</A>&#41; <BR>also the l8est version has a new "advance" verb unit which does do spring verb's&#40;has a few ready made patches but it eze to do your own&#41;so makes Reason much more rootsy. <BR> <BR>keep up the worx <BR> <BR>peace <BR>MD

jj

Post by jj » Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:24 am

Yes! Im kinda looking for ya all for a long time :-&#41; <BR> <BR>i make my dub also with reason.. starting from the first version till the one thats out now, v2.5.. im pretty addicted to it. its been incredibly improved - check the new RV7000 reverb for instance... its has all kinda algorhythmic delays including the a spring verbs, multitap, backwards, plate and many many more - its also eq-ed and has a audio/cv gate controller! of curz its has a programmable damper, hi-tones and dry/wet buttons and u can save each made setup in a patch! sooooo koool! the wiring on the back is incredible! imagine u could split a string or even a snare/anything into e.g. 5 outputs, all feeded by a different verb! the audio merger/splitter or reason 2.5 does this! hmm it starts to look like an advertisement for propheads huh..hehehe.. but Reason is GREAT! <BR> <BR>im looking for people to do some collabs with and share experience. My 'goal' is to make 70's dub style with mainly '2k-gear'. Reason has all to do this is my opinion &#40;maybe with some vst attached&#41;. For input and for mixing i use an Oxygen8-midi controller with 2 octave keys and 8 rotation knobs wich can be programmed on any knob u see in reason &#40;incl. mixer and all fx!&#41; very nice for a kinda 'analog/digital' mixing. Next thing on my list is better controller with 10 slides and 40 knobs and a roland drumpad. im all running on a mac g4 450dp in os9.. so if u got &#40;nearly&#41; the same goal, gear and vibez mail me. got also about 25gb of refills on a reason-server

Shane Burroughs

Post by Shane Burroughs » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:52 pm

Anybody use Reason with a VS 1880 &#40;or 1680&#41; <BR> <BR>I could sure use some help. I love reason 2.0 and if I could get it to sync with my 1880 I'd be a happy man. <BR> <BR>I use a blue and white g-3 Mac, and a Midisport 2x2. <BR> <BR>Reason already recognizes both devices but my settings must be off on one or the other because I can't get either one to control the other. <BR> <BR>Realtime help would be great, email also appreciated though. If you call me &#40;in LA&#41; I'll return the call on my dime. <BR> <BR>Thanks in advance, -Shane 818-279-3561 &#40;cell&#41;

cree cree

Post by cree cree » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:28 pm

I am interested in getting into dub prodcuction and am leaning towards reason. I have no prior knowledge of creating music and am wondering exactly what I need. I own my own business and have a power mac g4 dual 1.25 which I understand is good for music production. If I get Reason and an oxygen8 is that enough to get started? Sorry for being so uninformed- <BR>Cree

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:51 pm

if you're new to music making this combination will keep you busy for quite a while. try the demo version first anyway.

jadranko

Post by jadranko » Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:13 pm

HI,Jadranko here, I play guitar in a dub band, but I I'm also using reason to make dubs for my self at home.I know how to use it, but I don't know how&#40;and is it&#41; possible to connect Reason mixer channels to a real mixer, so I can control all channels and auxes with my hands and not with mice.Cheers!

nobby

Post by nobby » Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:58 pm

Hey Jadranko, yes it is possible to connect reasons mixer channels to an external mixer, all you need is a multi output soundcard. i use a marian marc 8 to output into a folio sx mixer. you just route the mixer channels in reason to the different soundcard outputs at the top of the reason screen. there are many multi output soundcards available, hope this has helped. good luck, cheers, <BR>Nobby

nobby

Post by nobby » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:20 pm

alternatively you could get a midi control unit like kenton spin doctor or pocket dial so you can control reason mixer/effects/instruments with knobs/faders...

yvo2000

Post by yvo2000 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:26 pm

What can't you do in Reason ? Maybe just get a good masterin'... But for the rest, with a little bi of imagination this software is fantastic, turnin' your everyday pc in a really cool studio ! Real professionnal or deep dubheadz with experience will also turn to others techniques of course...

erik mallinson

Post by erik mallinson » Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:01 pm

Try Reason re-wired into Ableton Live, where you can use those DubScrolls VST plugins on reason sounds and add live instrumentation as well. Not to be missed!