bass strings and tune

Moderator: interruptor

HM

bass strings and tune

Post by HM » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:02 pm

this very "round" and fat sound, buttom <BR>boost, but yet preccise and with enough <BR>expressive attack, people say they use <BR>"flat" bass strings, i tried once, they <BR>were to dead, so what is it ? <BR> <BR>could i keep the round-wound by eqing ? <BR> <BR>And how about detuning my riverhead 4- <BR>string for going deeper than low-E , or <BR>is it better done with a 5-strings ? <BR> <BR>HM

LeChat

bass strings and tune

Post by LeChat » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:29 am

the best dub bass tone ive gotten was with a cheap yamaha p-style bass with very old roundwounds, i think they were even light-guage. so who knows? you can just get a single low B string and restring your 4 string as B-E-A-D, 'cause that low b is nice. also, old organ speaker amps sound cool. personally, I think part of a great bass tone is mic'ing a real cab.

HM

bass strings and tune

Post by HM » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:59 pm

Thanks for the wievs, I was not aware that <BR>special B-strings was available but could <BR>imagine that a special string might be good <BR>compared to detuning a E string out of range <BR> <BR>Bassist from Danish band "bass and trouble" <BR>detuned the E a moderate one note to D must <BR>be very confusing and not a good way getting <BR>used to play :-&#41; <BR> <BR>Maybe a 5 string model would be preferable <BR>adding a low B on the top of the 4 normals <BR> <BR>Just i love my 4 string Riverhead headless <BR> <BR>HM

Evan

bass strings and tune

Post by Evan » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:35 pm

HM: You might try a different brand of flatwound strings. I've had bad luck with fender strings. Sour and thin and dead sounding. <BR> <BR>You can always use roundwounds and kill all the treble, but it doesn't quite do it for me. <BR> <BR>Drop-D tuning is pretty common in rock music, to match guitar players playing drop-d. You get used to it.

HM

bass strings and tune

Post by HM » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:20 pm

yep,... d-thing sure,... I would like to <BR>"kill the treble" another way also, some <BR>time you need some crispy over-tones, it <BR>is good to have a wide spectrum on the <BR>source-sound especially when you intend <BR>to use the filters under mixdown,.. you <BR>might even need the high-spectrum in the <BR>source in orde to achive a certain dark <BR>sound in the last end,.. Mad-P uses real- <BR>bass more than one would expect,. its all <BR>filters,. this nasal hollowness,.. :-&#41;

victorx

bass strings and tune

Post by victorx » Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:45 am

i have a yamaha bass with the p-bass 'special' style two pickups, but i never use the single-coil pickup near the bridge, just the split pickup up near the neck. tone is only about half way. i use lots of compression and don't boost the tops on the pre-amp either. <BR> <BR>the amp is pretty important, lately i've been using a bass pod which gives you the ability to select the amp you want. 60s or 70s amps are the go here. <BR> <BR>i play with my fingers, picks seem ugly things to me. <BR> <BR>i've got roundwound strings, been meaning to get some flatwounds, never got around to it &#40;this bass is only a couple of years old&#41;. but flatwounds are definitely the way to go, i had flats on my first ever bass 20 years ago, an early 1970s vintage jazz bass, it was a beautiful instrument, wish i still had it &#40;stolen&#41;. when i replaced it i got the shock of my life, until that time i just thought all bass strings where flatwound! &#40;ahh the ignorance of youth&#41;.

DELETED

bass strings and tune

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:46 am

DELETED

DELETED

bass strings and tune

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:42 am

DELETED