Sea Shanty DUB

Moderator: interruptor

Yozzza

Sea Shanty DUB

Post by Yozzza » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:04 am

Hi, <BR> <BR>can anyone help. i used to have a really good old reggae dub tape, that i have lost. The best way to describe it is that it had almost an almost sea shanty type feel to it. i imagine the music was quite old. Does anyone have any suggestions as to reggae artists that have made this type of music so that I can go looking for some of my favorite tunes. Any suggestions or help would be apreaciated. <BR>Thanks

interruptor

Sea Shanty DUB

Post by interruptor » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:22 pm

I didn't know what a sea shanty is but here is a nice explanation <A HREF="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_shanty.">"sea shanty"</A> <BR> <BR>Are you really looking for DUB? <BR>The explanation above rather makes me think of vocal music like: <BR> <BR>- The Viceroys have a song about pirates called "Yahoo" <BR>- Burning Spear: Some of his early tunes are call and response songs as described at the link above <BR>- Culture: Album "Two Seven's Clash" <BR> <BR>I think you should be more specific about what the music sounded like..

Yozzza

Sea Shanty DUB

Post by Yozzza » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:36 am

Thanks for the suggestions. i already have the culture album but will listen to the others. <BR>what i am looking for is definitely dub, but as it was quite a long time ago that i listened to it, 'sea shanty' was just my interpretation of it and to someone else it could be something totaly different. <BR>There is another tune that I am looking for, it is not a dub tune, but i remeber some of the lyrics. they go - hey little girl in the pretty dress, running away from progress. - <BR>Any idea who this tune is by? <BR>many thanks <BR> <BR>Yozzzzzzzzzzzzz

Neil C

Sea Shanty DUB

Post by Neil C » Mon Apr 12, 2004 3:58 pm

Was the tape old or the track ? because Dreadzone's 'Captain Dread' &#40;circa 1996&#41; is very nautically themed, but its not classic dub. Probably not the track you are looking for, but it has very sea shanty elements.

DELETED

Sea Shanty DUB

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:57 am

DELETED

DELETED

Sea Shanty DUB

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:22 am

DELETED