utilizing a sansui ra-500 reverb amp as an effect.

Moderator: interruptor

Looter

Post by Looter » Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:21 am

These contain a stereo spring reverb unit and are intended to power speakers for listening to music when you want to add some live ambience. I want to modify it somehow into an outboard spring reverb unit. Someone told me that the amp is too noisy for mixing but i dont mind a little noise.

marlon

Post by marlon » Tue Mar 27, 2001 12:56 am

at a guess I`d say you could just run it through the aux sends/returns on your desk using the tape input/output as connex? you could run it as an insert efx too I suppose but it would probably be a good idea to try and eq the wet signal to remove them nasty freqs.

Looter

Post by Looter » Tue Mar 27, 2001 8:29 am

I was told that since it's a reverb & amplification unit, hooking it up to my aux returns would fry my 4-track. I need some way to attenuate the output signal.

The Interruptor

Post by The Interruptor » Tue Mar 27, 2001 8:54 am

You could also pick-up the sound with a <BR>microphone - thus adding distortion, "amp simulation" and room to your effect line.. <BR>and probably solving the noise problem at the same time as guitar amps usually don't deliver much <BR>high frequency.

DC

Post by DC » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:18 am

Open up the amp and you'll probably will see a copperlike metal box, thats the spring. probably it has a cinch in and output. just hook it up straight into the spring device with your aux send don't turn on the amp. maybe you have to ground the spring unit to prevent hum. It has a very low input voltage so you might have to tweak the gain all the way up from your return channel. <BR> <BR>This should do the job. <BR> <BR>DC

Looter

Post by Looter » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:02 am

Just to clarify, this isnt a guitar amp. its a box used to power speakers in a home stereo system if you want to add some reverb to whatever youre listening to. Its in an old woden enclosure and i havent figured out how exactly to open it up but if i can, im gonna try and make something out of it. if you want to see what one of these looks like, just search on ebay.

Swingin Chad

Post by Swingin Chad » Fri May 10, 2002 6:14 pm

Hey, I have the same one &#40;Sansui ra-500&#41;! I've tried to use it between guitar and mixer & keyboard and mixer, but it builds up feedback on anything but the lowest setting. And it always has a lot of hum. I'm also trying to figure out some way to put it to use. <BR> <BR>&#40;BTW - You open it by removing the screws from the bottom and sliding the guts out the back of the wooden case. Don't try to open the wooden case itself&#41;. <BR> <BR>- Swingin' Chad

brian

Post by brian » Sun Oct 27, 2002 4:37 am

I use this box before going into my receiver, and i haven't fried anything yet.. if it was supposed to drive speakers, i would think i may have.. should i attenuate the signal somehow before going into my receiver? i've been running it like this for a while now, and had no issues.. <BR> <BR>-brian

Accent

Post by Accent » Wed Nov 13, 2002 5:09 pm

I have one of these and use it on aux busses as well as on inserts. Utilize the ins/outs labeled 'reverberation amp' - they are line level. There's no need to take it apart, and nothing will get fried. If it's too noisy for you, put a noise gate on it's output, and/or bring it back into a channel rather than an aux return and eq the noise out. These things have a good sound that sits very well in a mix, don't let yours go to waste.

JBSEPIA

Post by JBSEPIA » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:41 pm

Hi! sorry but i tried to hook up the sansui the way Accent described &#40;using reverb. amp i/o to aux send/return&#41; and i only get the thunder sounds if i kick it but it does`nt effect the sound being inputed, i keeps it clean &#40;&#43; extra hiss&#41;, any idea what i`m doing wrong? <BR>thank you! <BR>JB

Accent

Post by Accent » Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:30 am

JBSEPIA, what's up... Now, it's possible that something is wrong with your box, but I doubt it. &#40;I thought I had the same problem when I got mine&#41; First of all, this thing was designed to be used with a hi-fi system, with the output of a turntable or tape deck going through it before it hits the amp and speakers. Therefore the effect is quite subtle compared to a dedicated studio verb unit, which you might be used to. It's supposed to add a subtle ambiance more than anything. But nonetheless, it's presence is very strong &#40;or can be subtle&#41; if you mix it in right. Since you can kick it and hear the thunder you probably have enough signal going in to the unit. It sounds like your problem is that your dry signal &#40;the mixer channel you are sending from&#41; is too loud in comparison to the aux return. I realize that with normal fx you can bring the fader up to the desired level and then just crank the aux send until you have the amount of reverb you want, but with this thing you really need about a 50/50 mix of the channel and the aux return, if not 10/90.. no lie. It is actually better to use a prefade send with this one I think because you won't affect the volume of the wet signal by adjusting the channel fader. &#40;and it helps to be able to control them individually to find that balance&#41; I'm sure you already tried this, but if you haven't, turn the big black knob &#40;reverb time&#41; fully clockwise while you are experimenting so you will get the wettest signal possible. After you get the hang of it you can set it where you want. If you really want proof that it works, just get a minimal rythm playing a midrange-heavy sound going through a channel on your board, a snare is good. Plug an insert cable into the insert of that channel, and on the other end, the send goes into the rev amp in, return into the out. Turn the black knob on the sansui all the way up, and switch it on. You will hear it. Unplug and replug the insert cable at the mixer for an instant a/b comparison. Play with the eq to see what kinds of sounds you get - try cutting the bass almost completely and cut the highs by half &#40;also, cutting the highs will help with that hiss if you don't have a noise gate&#41;. Give the mids a few dB of gain and then sweep the frequencies, stopping when you hear something you like. When the rev time is all the way up, it gives a really rich, middy, echoing reverb. If you overdrive the box, it creates this cool metallic distortion unlike anything I can get with other devices. You might not have heard the effect because you weren't feeding it the right sound. Like I said, it really reacts best to instruments with a lot of mid presence.. vocals, snares, trumpets, synths. I highly recommend that if you are using it with an aux send, return it to an actual channel and not the aux returns because you really need to work that midrange with the eq to get it sounding sweet. It IS versatile but it's not an instant gratification type of tool, like an alesis microverb! Let me know if it starts working for you, best wishes.

JBSEPIA

Post by JBSEPIA » Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:21 am

Hi! <BR>thanks for the fast reply! <BR>I plugged it as aux 1 with return to a channel and it still did`nt work, except when i fed back aux 1 in the channel &#40;making it a lot louder&#41;, it seemed to work a bit on the feedback. <BR>It probably has something to do about the aux fx output level of my cheap behringer mixer. <BR>Please tell me: what type of mixer do you use and what connections and settings are used on the RA-500. <BR>thank you so much.

Accent

Post by Accent » Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:38 am

Settings... That triggered something in my mind and I remembered... those three black buttons under 'Reverberation' on the front. On, Off, and Record. The 'On' button has to be depressed in order for the reverb to be heard. If any of the others are pressed, the sound will bypass the springs and come out unaffected. The 'Tape Mode' knob can be left in the 'Off' position. Now... try that, along with the suggestions in my last post, and if it still doesn't work tell me. That should be it though. To answer your questions, I use an old Studiomaster mixer. I use a 1/4" to RCA cable that goes from aux send 1 to 'reverberation amp, In, Left', and another just like it from 'reverberation amp, Out, Left' to a free mono channel on the mixer. I use the aux 1 knob on the desired channel to send a decent level to the sansui. I turn up the gain on the return channel to get a strong signal from the reverb unit going into it. I then bring that fader up until I hear it and tweak from there. I hope that solves your problem. Tell me what happens, and if that doesn't help we can figure it out. Peace.

JBSEPIA

Post by JBSEPIA » Thu Feb 20, 2003 5:49 pm

Hi! <BR>it works! <BR>technically that is, i tried sending as strong a signal as i could, and it did reverberate! the problem is that it was clipping/overdriving like crazy! I think my Behringer has low send output and that`s why i`m having a hard time with clipping. My guess is i`ll need a signal booster or something to bring up the level without distortion, any suggestions? <BR>thank you so much! <BR>JB <BR>i was wondering if you had any audio files of stuff you did with the reverb box?, i`d like to hear them if possible. <BR>By the way this board is great!!

Accent

Post by Accent » Fri Feb 21, 2003 1:41 am

Glad it works! If you are overdriving the reverb unit then I doubt your aux sends are weak, quite the contrary. As a matter of fact, you are probably sending way too much signal to the box. Do this: Plug your reverb up to your mixer just like you had it, only this time with a PRE-fade send. Bring the fader that your sound is coming from all the way down. &#40;You don't want to hear it&#41; Turn the aux send that your reverb is connected to all the way down. Make sure that the gain is set up properly of course so you are getting a good level into that channel. Set the fader on the return channel to 0dB &#40;3/4 of the way up&#41;, and it's gain to about half to start with. With the sound going, just turn up that aux send until you hear the effected sound coming through on the return channel, nice and undistorted. Now you can adjust the return channel's gain using the VU meters to monitor, making sure you are getting a strong undistorted input. From this point on all your levels should be properly set and you are free to create a mix between the dry and wet sound by changing the relative positions of those two faders. Make sense? And remember, if you WANT to overdrive the springs you can do so by cranking the aux up until it distorts, and then compensate for the louder output by lowering the return channel's gain and volume.. or you could leave the aux send alone and overdrive the return channel itself. It's up to you. Bear in mind this is only one of an infinite number of ways you could do it but it will be a good starting point for you to begin understanding the importance of setting your gain in a way that gives you the sound you want.. at every stage in that path. I don't have any audio examples that specifically showcase the ra-500's sound, but if you still want to hear it I could whip something up. <BR>Good Luck!

JBSEPIA

Post by JBSEPIA » Fri Feb 21, 2003 10:28 pm

Hi! <BR>thank you for the detailed info, i got it working without overdrive!, i`m getting a small but interesting reverb, and it`s fun to have it feed back through the aux 1 for more intense sound &#40;you have to be very careful&#41;. <BR>I found a site that had a sound demo, www.crumpled.com/negen2/gear/Effects/ra500.html i get close but i think this guy has a wetter reverb on "all Wet", maybe his guitar has a spring reverb also. <BR>thanks a million for your patience, i hope this info can help others, if it weren`t for you i might of given up on this thing. <BR>Do you know if it`s possible to modify this box by using a different tank, have you ever opened it? <BR>i was wondering where you were from, this board seems pretty international, i`m from Montreal, Canada myself. <BR>thank again.

Looter

Post by Looter » Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:00 am

I'm wishing I still had that sansui reverb to mess with. they seem pretty common, maybe i'll run across another one. I still need a spring box for dedicated dropkicking.

JBSEPIA

Post by JBSEPIA » Sun Mar 09, 2003 10:04 am

Hey Looter here`s your chance! <BR><A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3284">link to item at ebay</A> <BR> <BR> <BR><FONT COLOR="ff0000">&#91;yo.. please use the correct syntax when posting long links! check "formatting" instruction in the left column on this page.. peace, the interruptor&#93;</FONT>

Looter

Post by Looter » Sun Mar 09, 2003 7:24 pm

Thanx, JBSEPIA, but a friend of mine is bringing me an old pioneer reverb for free &#40;i figure if youre setting aside one 'verb for smacking and abuse it should be free or at least cheap!&#41; I will miss that trippy visual display on the Sansui though..

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:20 pm