Hohner Melodicas

Moderator: interruptor

Rale M

Hohner Melodicas

Post by Rale M » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:00 am

I was wondering if someone would be able to comment on how Hohner HM-32 and Hohner HM-36 melodicas compare sonically &#40;other than HM-36 <BR>obviously having 4 extra keys and being of better build quality&#41;. I have never owned a melodica, so I was wondering if HM-32, being about $100 less expensive one, would be an okay solution. I would eventually use it for recordings, so if there are any issues such as excessive key noise, I would like to know about it. <BR> <BR>I was initially interested in adding an instrument - not a synth or sampled sound - like Bandoneon &#40;smaller accordion&#41;, but after hearing some of Augustus Pablo's music, I thought that melodica could do the job. I do however, like the <BR>accordion timbre, more than harmonica, so a melodica that sounds closer to accordion would be one of my choice. <BR> <BR>Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Rale

Mike Zee

Hohner Melodicas

Post by Mike Zee » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:17 pm

from what I see hm-36 has different reeds... it may sound more like accordion while hm-32 may sound more like harmonica. it's just my guess... also hm-36 have full piano-sizer keys, and 32 has large keys, but the white keys look like are a bit shorter than full size. I may be wrong. My guess that 36 actually may be better built instrument overall, ment to be pro-instrument. Good luck getting the one you'll be happy with. <BR>/Mike Zee aka Dr ZEE

Rale M.

Hohner Melodicas

Post by Rale M. » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:36 am

Thanks for the reply, Mike! I will probably end up getting HM-36 since everything I read about it so far leads me to believe that of all melodicas its sound might be most accordion-like, which is what I am looking for. As you noted, it does seem like a well-built instrument, which would be a reason more to go with it. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR>Rale