getting tubby-esque rippling verb on snare arrrgghhhh!

Moderator: interruptor

da g

Post by da g » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:52 am

Please someone out there tell me now how the f**k to get that rippling , wet verb on the snare like jammy, tubby and every other f**kin producer gets. NO UNIT ALONE DOEs this and I've tried the lot (space echo, fisher, grampian). I usually sample a hit from one of those 70's dub tunes and compare it it with the one I've created but it never sounds as wet, dirty and warbling like they have . If you've got any tips I would appreciate it. Oh and by the way post an mp3 just to prove how it sounds. aaarrrggghhhh!

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:27 am

Tubby used a space echo, but he cutumized it by muting one of the 2 springs... <BR> <BR>But you never can imitate that sound, because tubby built himself his mixing board, and include in-it a very-special filter to make sound his "Big Knob", and next to that he use lot of Tubes &#40;and we call it Tubby...&#41; so i think all signal is passed thru tube &#40;make a real difference, whatever over people can say...&#41;, and then they adjust special parameters on his tube filter... <BR> <BR>It's impossible &#40;and had no sense&#41; to try to have this sound, find YOURS sound... don't steel the one from other... <BR> <BR>Respect, <BR> <BR>Jah Live ! <BR>Dub Live ! <BR> <BR>KoCha <BR>www.Almighty-Dub.com
KoCha, reggae-dub producer

Almighty Dub Records - Independent Reggae Dub Production
Open Dub Foundation - The WorldWide Dub Meeting

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:09 pm

Hi Kocha, <BR>where did you hear that Tubby's customization was to mute one spring? <BR>This is indeed a method to get a grittier sound, but it's the first time I hear Tubby did just that.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:17 pm

da g: have you seen <A HREF="http://www.interruptor.ch/cgi-bin/discu ... 1/517.html" TARGET="_blank">this thread?</A> There I posted a sample of my Spacexpander with one spring muted.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:35 pm

Ko Cha - I think the sound da g is describing is the one also achieved by Lee Perry and several other dub producers. I don't think da g is thinking of the eq filtering that Tubby also used. <BR>The sound he is describing is not arrived at because of the use of tubes. <BR>I know what he means - I have a Spacexpander and it is very close to 'the' sound. &#40;I love my Spacexpander&#41; Damping one spring certainly helps a lot - but I still can't get it quite as wet, undulating and watery-plopping as on the 70's dub.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:10 pm

Neil writes: <FONT COLOR="119911">I have a Spacexpander and it is very close to 'the' sound. &#40;I love my Spacexpander&#41; Damping one spring certainly helps a lot - but I still can't get it quite as wet, undulating and watery-plopping as on the 70's dub.</FONT> <BR> <BR>Yes Neil, I made the same experience

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:32 am

Hi all, i love talking about tubbys.. my favorite topic... <BR> <BR>Interruptor : "where did you hear that Tubby's customization was to mute one spring?" <BR> <BR>Sorry but i can't remember... i think it's in natty dread french magazine &#40;a special dub edition&#41; where there is a very long scientist interview &#40;about 2003...&#41;, he talk a lot of the knob and spring reverb... <BR> <BR>Neil c : "I don't think da g is thinking of the eq filtering that Tubby also used" <BR> <BR>Yes, the big knob and the reverb is different effect in tubbys mix &#40;and sometings used at same time... making incredible param eq effect&#41;, but it's used for reverb sound, in an other way, just remember tubbys has only 4 tracks ! <BR>I know sometimes it's record first drum&bass and has perhaps a separate "rimshot" track, but i know too that he record whole tracks in live &#40;most of time i think&#41;, so when you have the whole drum recoding in 1 track, you need to filtering the input of reverb to make sound online the "rimshot" but when doing that, some sound remain in the reverb, comming from kick and hihat.... <BR>Tubby has build his one Mixer, i think he added special filter &#40;like the one in the big knob but at different freq&#41; at the aux send input, and perhaps output...... <BR>I remember a picture of tubby in studio with an enormous multi-channel Tube filter... i'm sure TUBE is for somethings in this sounds.... like special filter built in the mixer... <BR> <BR> <BR>Neil c : "I think the sound da g is describing is the one also achieved by Lee Perry and several other dub producers" <BR> <BR>Perhaps for you... but for me Tubby's sound is unique ! For black ark, i think it's sound a bit same because tubby has built the black ark mixing desk... and had some Tubby custumization ;-&#41; <BR> <BR>Nice talks, i hope you understand my bad english... <BR> <BR>Jah Bless, <BR>KoCha <BR>www.Almighty-Dub.com

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Mon Aug 29, 2005 1:40 pm

Ko Cha - I don't disagree with anything you say - <BR>but I'm not talking about the overall sound of King Tubby <BR>- Tubby was of course unique <BR>- I was just talking about the sound of the reverb - and several producers &#40;not all identical of course&#41; had a reverb sound that shared characteristics that some of us are saying we can't quite get <BR>- I doubt Tubby's customisation was just one mute spring, but this is a method that gets our Spacexpanders closer to the sound we are after <BR>- my example of the sound I seek would be the rim shot in the instrumental section at the end of Nicodemus by the Congos &#40;Lee Perry production&#41; - its not the same as Tubby but it has the level of splashiness that I'm after but can't quite get

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:16 am

"I was just talking about the sound of the reverb" <BR> <BR>Me too... this sound is unique, the tubby reverb sound is unique... but i think that a lot of things influance the reverb input... like number of drum track... &#40;it's my opinion only, and i'm not sure to have the truth&#41; <BR> <BR>It can be great to send a low kick sound at same time of your rimshot in the reverb... just to try out... and perhaps try to add a eq before/after reverb input... just some idea... because low freq make spring doing special sound... <BR> <BR>But like i say in my first talk : <BR>It's impossible &#40;and had no sense&#41; to try to have this sound... try to make yours ! <BR>But i understand you want your reverb sounding a bit the same as 70's dub production... <BR> <BR>Nice talk and good luck Neil C ! <BR> <BR>Jah Bless, <BR> <BR>KoCha <BR>www.Almighty-Dub.com