Basic channel / rhythm&sound / maurizio / burial mix ...

Moderator: interruptor

nahpets

Post by nahpets » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:24 am

hi, do you know this dub techno coming form berlin? i´m really addicted to these sounds and wondering what kind of equipment they use. for example the maurizio7... where does that chord sound come from? what kind of machine makes this kind of sound? any idea?

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:58 pm

Try taking any synth and playing 2 note chords -. You can do this, if you want, with one key by detuning an oscillator by the appropriate number of semitones. Apply a low pass filter and turn down the cutoff. <BR> I don't know exactly what synth they use.

DiGiT

Post by DiGiT » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:58 pm

thats a pretty standard sound, you could do it with a casio synth for example... beyond that, its got a lowpass filter with an lfo on it.

nahpets

Post by nahpets » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:52 pm

casio synth ? i own a vz10m and i can´t make those chords with it... what casio do you think of? <BR>i don´t know but this chord sound sounds very complex to me. not standard... i agree that there is used a filter lowpass, maybe more than just one. but the waveform seems to be special, it´s no saw or pulsewave... still wondering...

DiGiT

Post by DiGiT » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:05 pm

well i dont think its so uncommon... i was thinking of a cz101 or the like. <BR> <BR>could you possibly be more clear as to what version of m7 you are referring to... what 'chords' exactly? <BR> <BR>but then again it could be some german synth from yesteryear seeing as those guys are made of money and connections... i hear they have 3 or 4 of everything... wouldnt it be funny tho if it turned out to be all done in reaktor or generator lol! they are in berlin, after all, the home of native instruments. <BR> <BR>basic channel were fond of sampling metalic sounds, and in fact many fm waveforms. they are also fond of their roland r-8 drum machine. <BR> <BR>i think however that it boils down to production work on their part more than the gear used.

nahpets

Post by nahpets » Mon May 01, 2006 10:21 am

it´s difficult to say what version, because there is no trackname on this records. i mean the track which is very minimal, only rhythm and that one chord sound. the chord sounds very electric and has some pingpong delay on it. also it changes the timbre and sounds always a bit different. <BR> <BR>i don´t think that this is done on a cz... <BR> <BR>i agree that their production work is the more important part. however it would be nice to know what gear they used. but these guys never done an interview or something like that...

DiGiT

Post by DiGiT » Tue May 02, 2006 1:17 am

well they came down to a radio show i was hangin out at in the 90s, and i even talked to one of them, dont remember who. i told the guy how much i loved his stuff and he seemed a bit scared off by that... <BR> <BR>anyway. im sure its some exotic fm thing, since i can almost always pick out what sounds like an fm sound in their music. <BR> <BR>i think i have all but grown out of that sound now though. for a while i couldnt stop making stuff that sounded like theirs. why dont you just move to berlin? it seems the place for that vein...

nahpets

Post by nahpets » Thu May 04, 2006 3:01 pm

i made a patch on my fs1r which sounds very similar to this chordsound... but it´s not the same. fm seems to be good for bright sounding things sometimes... however this m7 still is unbeatable..truly a masterpiece!

DiGiT

Post by DiGiT » Wed May 10, 2006 2:22 am

how is the fs1r? i always wanted one.

nahpets

Post by nahpets » Wed May 10, 2006 2:03 pm

well i have two ;&#41;

DiGiT

Post by DiGiT » Thu May 11, 2006 1:00 am

that good huh. <BR> <BR>how are you editing it? a computer editor?

nahpets

Post by nahpets » Thu May 11, 2006 12:30 pm

i use it for all kind of synth tones. when you learned to programm it right, you can even make analog sounding things with it. it gives me a very wide range of synth sounds... <BR> <BR>and yes, there is a very good editor for it: <a href="http://www4.airnet.ne.jp/k_take/fs1r_ed ... glish.html" target="_blank">http://www4.airnet.ne.jp/k_take/fs1r_ed ... sh.html</a> <BR>it has all features and even a copy function for copy operator settings. <BR> <BR>if you like to programm synthies you should get one. it´s no easy machine... <BR> <BR>it goes at evilbay around 400euro...