DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> LIVE DUBBING
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boylah

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler
Is it good for live dubbing?
Thanks
boylah

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

Come on...
is there someone on this board?
interruptor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

sure brother we are here reading your posts. it just seems that none of us has experience with the ES-1 so there is no real point in replying..

check this site for a heap of user reviews. you'll get an idea what the machine does and what it's good at.
boylah

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

I am noob in dub so i would really appreciate if some of you guys could look ES-1 specs and tell me what you think. I would be very greatfull!
Downpressor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

I've never used it, but looking at the specs, it might be fine if you just want to trigger drum samples to your mixing board. Then again, you could use any sampler (Roland 404, etc) or any drum machine for that as well. The big drawback I see to this is only two outputs, I'd want something where I could break out the individual drum sounds so I could put FX on snare only for example
boylah

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:50 am    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

What about ES-1 built-in effects?
DiGiT

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

im about to buy an er-1 for cheap. my roomate has one and i think it sounds pretty cool.
Downpressor

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

again, I've never used that unit, but I know I generally dont like using built in FX on hardware for the following reasons:

1) often hard to get to the settings if you have to remember a sequence of buttons or menus
2) FX often can not be easily applied to individual sounds. One of the users on the site linked above mentions that this unit only applies FX to ALL sounds in a pattern, not individual sounds.

If you really want to do live dub, you want to be working your FX in real time and dont want to be fiddling around trying to find your reverb or delay settings, and also you definitely dont want to have a bunch of different reverbs going on every instrument, it will sound like hell. What you probably want is a mixer with 3 or four sends or inserts and your choice of delay(s), reverb(s) and chorus and or phaser. Those could be in the mixer, but I prefer outboard units so I can tweak knobs in real time.

Have you looked at The Dub Scrolls section of this site? Lots of great tips there which apply.
Neil C

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

It isn't ideally suited for dub but you that's not to say you couldn't use it to contribute to a dub performance. It's primarily a sampling pattern playback machine.
You can trigger samples from it and add effects which could be useful in many contexts. But the pattern stuff which is what the interface is designed around wouldn't be of much dubbing use.
If you can pick one up for very cheap then why not.

As one alternative I would look at the Boss SP404, a nicer unit if you just want to trigger samples I would say. The SP303 had an excellent delay on it.
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: KORG Electribe ES-1 Rhythm Sampler Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> LIVE DUBBING All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: