How to dub live?

Moderator: interruptor

Tony

How to dub live?

Post by Tony » Wed Apr 03, 2002 3:54 pm

i was wondering if you have any ideas for doing live dub///i was recently in NYC and did a show w/doctor israel and he uses adats and said that mad proffesor does as well////how do you get 8 tracks into the adat one song at a time at different tempo's also are there any other live dub set ups that you know of/ at present our instrumentation is 3x roland sp-202's/2x 303's/mackies 16 channel mixer/live oud and tabla/turntable and synth THANX for your help up front

interruptor

How to dub live?

Post by interruptor » Wed Apr 03, 2002 4:30 pm

Adats can be used like any 8 track reel to reel machine. There is nothing that could stop you from having different songs at different tempos on the same Adat tape. Either you manually record the 8 tracks to the Adat one after the other &#40;i.e. drums on track1, bass on track 2, ..&#41; or you bounce all 8 tracks at once from your studio &#40;Harddisc recording, Midi, 24 track tape, whatever..&#41; In the second case you will have to find a way to mix your song to 8 channels instead of the usual 2 &#40;stereo&#41; and record all 8 tracks at the same time to the 8 Adat-tracks. You can use the aux sends and and sub bus outs on the mixer for this. Now you can take the Adat &#43; mixer &#43; effects to the gig and perform a live mix of your prerecorded tracks on the tape. I once saw Mad Professor doing this in the early nineties in London. At that time he still used a reel to reel tape. <BR>Aba Shanti who performed the same night &#40;spinning his records, chanting along to them and playing his dub sirens and echoes&#41; definitely had the people on his side though.. <BR> <BR>I hope this helps. If not feel free to ask in more detail.. <BR> <BR>greetings <BR>The Interruptor

G

How to dub live?

Post by G » Mon Jul 08, 2002 4:35 pm

Stick everything inna dee console and apply effects. Send a stereo mix to the venue's soundman, who can then go at the bar and wait until the show's over.

The Mad Subwoofer

How to dub live?

Post by The Mad Subwoofer » Tue Mar 25, 2003 4:44 am

Our trio trys to pull off as much of that studio, "dub-wise" sound live from the stage as we can. I sample my bass guitar "on-the-fly" and play filtered, guitar like lines over top "fleshing out" the band if you will. Our drummer uses a Roland TD-8 drum brain to trigger pads, patterns and trippy sound effects and also has an extra snare miced up to an Electrix Mo-FX that he manipulates live on the floor providing us with live delay FX that the band can play against. Our keys/horn/melodica/FX guy manipulates his instruments with a Line 6 DL4 and tries to create a wide open, atmospheric backdrop for us to dub out with. You can hear us performing like this with no overdubs at these links; <A HREF="http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/ar ... ccanada</A> <BR> <A HREF="http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/536/pac ... _system</A> <BR> <BR> You may recognize some of the material &#40;!&#41; Creating dub with a live trio and effecting it on stage has been a real challenge but also tons o' fun! <BR> Chris

88DanNZ

How to dub live?

Post by 88DanNZ » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:53 am

One popular way of dropping tracks live in NZ is using Akai MPC2000 samplers. You have all your samples in the machine, as many tracks as you want to record on to , which can be dropped in and out as you play live, will control midi synths, for bassline tweaking live, and 8 outputs to send your track to your desk in pieces. Check out Fat Freddys Drop for a some nice MPC &#43; a live guitar, vocals and a three piece horn section. 15 minute live improvised dub tracks with a machine, and a band mixing it up....

RFG

How to dub live?

Post by RFG » Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:48 am

Apparently Madlib does similar... in a jazzy hiphop way <BR>iv seen fat freddys drop a few times and agree, <BR>they have a good formula !!

DELETED

How to dub live?

Post by DELETED » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:09 pm

DELETED

DELETED

How to dub live?

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:27 am

DELETED

DELETED

How to dub live?

Post by DELETED » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:15 pm

DELETED