2 dubs by King Tubby: how did they do that??

Moderator: interruptor

Matt

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:06 am

Hey, <BR>I'm a sound engineering major and I'm doing a project on dub reggae. I was checking out the Dub scrolls, it's a sick page man, and I was wondering if you could help me out w/ somthing. I have a couple questions about sound effects and what techniques were used for a couple songs....In king tubbys song "Dub from the roots" off of the dub from studio one album, do you know how, and what he's doing in that song? especially in the beginning? Also in the song "King tubby meets rockers uptown" off of the King tubby meets rockers uptown album, do you know what him and Augustus are doing? any specific delay unit for the melodica? <BR>Any help would be appreciated. <BR>Great website, thanks for your time, <BR>Matt

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:45 pm

"Dub from the roots" - there are at least 2 tracks with this name! one has an electronic sounding intro probably created with the beatbox of an organ and an early analog synth. the other is on <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 5?v=glance" target="_blank">this album</a>. which is the tune you mean? what is the exact sound you want to understand how it's done? <BR> <BR>"King tubby meets rockers uptown": no special delay unit necessary i'd say. any tape delay or emulation can come close but a filter section is needed in the feedback path of the delay &#40;can be achieved by spending one mixer track for the delay unit - then don't use the internal feedback loop of the delay unit but create the feedback via the mixing desk: open aux send on delay's channel, use channel eq to create delays evolving to higher and higher frequencies. that technique is also known as "reinjection" &#41; <BR>i think they used only one delay unit and one spring reverb unit as effects. the delay is panned left at the beginning and the reverb right. later in the track the delay changes to the right also for short time. There is is also some live filter tweaking going on on the bassline as heard on other tracks from tubby's studio as well. <BR> <BR>cheers <BR>Daniel

G

Post by G » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:50 pm

"King tubby meets rockers uptown" was done using pure genious. <BR> <BR>Also, try doubling the hi-hat beat with a quick delay.

DiGiT

Post by DiGiT » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:48 pm

ooh ooh i wanna be 'the reinjector' can i huh? rofl! <BR> <BR>im so dubbed out... thanks for the infos!

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:56 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:24 pm

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:37 pm

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:00 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:16 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:15 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:01 am

DELETED