what is the essence of dub?

Moderator: interruptor

Ron Johnson

Post by Ron Johnson » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:17 pm

First off, thanx for having a post that doesn't require an account. Kudo's. <BR> <BR>I added some goodies for those who want to start with software at no risk at the bottom of the page. Do read on and check out those links. <BR> <BR>My question is however, what is the essence of dub? I make techno and trance, but I would like to move up to dub. What is the sound? To me it all sounds like loops, clips, and stuff I'm already used to making. But somehow, I can't make something that 'sounds' like dub. <BR> <BR>I know it is probably impossible to give me an affective idea. I see that a great deal of it has analog instruments. Is it how all this is looped/sequenced? Or do you just experiment till something sounds right. Is it just about mixing pre recorded samples and then applying filters n' stuff? I notice alot of the beats are pitch shifted kinda like in DNB. Is that just to line the beat up to the song or is that part of the sound of Dub? I dunno. There is no guide to making it I'm sure. I'd just like to know what it 'is' more or less. <BR> <BR>Finally, for those who are interested in starting off with a really great small studio for absolutely free, check out these sites. <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://audacity.sourceforge.net" TARGET="_top">http://audacity.sourceforge.net</A> <BR> <BR>Audacity is an awesome wave editor that exports in .wav and .mp3's. Encoding is all selectable along with sample rates and bit rates. It is multitrack, and you can actually mix songs on it without any other software. It comes with an excellent selection of built in effects. If it used VST'z it would be perfect. <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.buzzmachines.com" TARGET="_top">http://www.buzzmachines.com</A> <BR> <BR>Buzz is a weapon. In itself, there is much to learn. I've only been using it alot in the last year. It seemed so bland, I didn't think it could possibly jam the way it does. I'm still learning new things about it almost everyday. It is a loop based music generator, but don't let that fool you to believing it sounds cheap. The interface is kind of boring, but once you learn its secrets, even pro's will find it a terrific tool. What I like about it is the fact that you can use effects on an analog/midi based line just the same as a sequence generated ones! And you can assign Midi buttons to external equipment just like the pros use. Volume knobs, filter sliders, keyboards, drum sets, you name it, it does it. It has a huge online community with free posting for songs so you can share with friends and peers. Source code is available for creating your own machines in C&#43;&#43;. It has two drawbacks. Installation for one. You must follow the instructions to the T. And next is, on some computers, its buggy. My old PIII runs it perfectly, but my new computer has problems. But hey, its free, and it jams. Go check it out. <BR> <BR>Axlr8or out.

Triffidd

Post by Triffidd » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:33 am

Audacity is junk. Good for amplifying and applying fades in and out AFTER you've completed the track. <BR> <BR>Hardly a studio.

dubtransmission

Post by dubtransmission » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:05 pm

BUzz is the bulk of the studio. <BR> <BR>Think...

Triffidd

Post by Triffidd » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:46 pm

OK so Audacity hosts the Buzz utilities. <BR> <BR>There are better PC-studio solutions in my opinion.

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:32 pm

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:46 pm

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:41 am

DELETED