Spring reverbs in guitar amps

Moderator: interruptor

mick

Post by mick » Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:38 am

Is there any way to use the spring reverbs found in guitar amps separetely?? one of my old guitar amps kicked the bucket and it has a fully functional twin coil spring reverb in it. there is 1 input and 1 output (both the same type as phono/rca leads ) which plugged into the amp. does anyone have any experience turning these into stand-alone fx units??

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:41 pm

so far i don't have experience with this but Dubcreator suggested to connect the spring tank directly to the aux send/returns of the mixing desk in this <A HREF="http://www.interruptor.ch/cgi-bin/discu ... message</A>. so this may be worth a try. <BR>normally spring reverb units have dedicated amplifiers at the input and output of the reverb tank. &#40;here is the <A HREF="http://www.triodeel.com/k10.gif">schematic</A> of a Fisher K-10 "Spacexpander"&#41; <BR>the transducers used to convert your aux send into the vibration of the spring work with the same principle as a speaker so i think it should be ok to drive it with a normal audio amplifier - however make sure you check the input impedance of your spring tank; if it is lower than the usual 4 to 8 Ohm that speakers have you are likely to fry your amplifier.. <BR> <BR>please keep us updated on your achievments since i'm likely to come into your situation soon as well. <BR> <BR>good luck! <BR>Daniel aka The Interruptor

interruptor/dubcreator

Post by interruptor/dubcreator » Mon Feb 25, 2002 2:38 pm

I just received this note from Dubcreator regarding his experience when connecting the reverb tank directly to the aux send/returns: <BR> <BR>"Greetings Daniel, bout the spring reverb.... yes i tried it myself and in my case it works. But it depends on the headroom, max gain and also how high the aux output is. I have a Mackie desk with enormous headroom. It also depends on the sensivity of the transducers in the spring box. But a single spring unit has a very low output, always. But a small preamp is easy to build. Just a couple of capacitors, resistors and an opamp&#40;if you&acute;re handy with a solderingiron&#41;. What i also have tried is a riaa preamp used for turntables, also works well. What i also can say is that connecting 2 spring in series or parallel..... doesn&acute;t work :-&#40; " <BR> <BR>peace <BR>The Interruptor

HM

Post by HM » Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:17 pm

some american company makes a 19" unit <BR>spring with pro S/N specs, even based <BR>upon standard accutronic tanks, so I <BR>guess its not the classic thank that <BR>makes shit-sound but the lousy electronics <BR>that is found in guitar-amps, and curcuitry, <BR>My guess is if the tank is feeded with <BR>a good buffer with what so ever output- <BR>impedance needed, and the output from thank <BR>is feed to a decent Mixer-channel then <BR>there is a nice and clear spring-sound <BR>without unrelated noise, well maybe <BR>some pre/post emphasis is neded like <BR>in RIAA-amps, I don&acute;t know, but with <BR>low noise op amps and good skills it&acute;s <BR>should be possible to make a decent unit, <BR>I am not impressed by the spring-sound <BR>in my RE-201, if anyone can tell me <BR>a EU-store preferably web-based selling <BR>difrent kinda quality spring-tanks <BR>please tell me I would like to make <BR>a 19" unit with difrent lenght tanks in <BR> <BR>HM