DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dreadzone bass sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : BASS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil C

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Dreadzone bass sound Reply with quote

Does anyone know what equipment/technique was used to get the bass sound on Dreadzone's 'Second Light' album?
Matt Lockwood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Dreadzone bass sound Reply with quote

I suspect that it's not 'real' bass on that album, as it sounds very similar to the programmed bass on the 360 Degrees album. Exactly what software was used, I couldn't say. Leo generally used a Steinberger bass when playing live though, if that's any help.
Neil C

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Dreadzone bass sound Reply with quote

Thanks for that.

The bass on 360 degrees is clearly not real.
But on Second Light it is much improved and sounds a lot more real. The bass player is not pictured on 360 degrees but he is on Second Light. I'm prepared to believe it is clever programming though.
The bass on Moving On on Biological Radio would be very difficult to do by non-real bass, but maybe it is all synth though, very clever if it is.

When I've seen them live the bass didn't sound different to the recordings.

By coincidence I play the cheaper version of the Steinberg bass, made by Honer (licensed by Steinberg) which I bought in 1987.

My bass sound has developed since my original post. Its very close to what I want now (I'd still like to know what Dreadzone used thought).
Matt Lockwood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Dreadzone bass sound Reply with quote

You could always send them an email and ask. They're usually very friendly - although I've not been in touch with them for years, when I was working on their merchandising stand. Of course they've changed the line-up since the Second Light days and I don't think they even use a bassist when playing live these days. Shame!
DELETED

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Dreadzone bass sound Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Dreadzone bass sound Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Dreadzone bass sound Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Dreadzone bass sound Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : BASS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: