DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roland re-201 impulses in wav. available

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : DELAY : TAPE DELAY SIMULATORS AND PLUG-INS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil C

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Roland re-201 impulses in wav. available Reply with quote

Noisevault now has some impulses in wav. format (for use in such things as SIR) from the 201.
There are 3 delays with reverb, and 3 without, and one that is just the reverb.
I guess you could time-stretch the impulses to get the delays in time with your track.
http://noisevault.com/index.php?page=3&action=file&cat_id=6&id=133
HM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Roland re-201 impulses in wav. available Reply with quote

Very interesting, thanks, as for I
not SIR o.l. pt. but maybe our host
could comment, he knows about this
but sofar assumed that convolution
was not for non-liniar algoritms as
far as i remember

HM
HM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:19 pm    Post subject: Roland re-201 impulses in wav. available Reply with quote

Rated 10/10 ! Niel did you test yet ?
Neil C

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Roland re-201 impulses in wav. available Reply with quote

If I understand your first reply correctly, then SIR can handle non linear algorithms - by which I mean that a sample of delays will work as delays when used in SIR (these 201 samples did) or, I presume, other convolution reverbs.
What I was most interested in to hear was the reverb - which turns out to not as springy/boingy I would like.
If I didn't already have a really good delay plug in, I'd be really happy to use the delays.

I've also discovered another set of .wav reverbs from the 201:
http://www.geocities.com/vintage_impulse
HM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Roland re-201 impulses in wav. available Reply with quote

I qouted a thing interruptor said earlyer, that
convolution might be perfect to linear algoritm´s
like in traditional reverbration, while it might
be daubtsome how well convolution would work for
non-linear structures such as a boingy spring
based on logaritmic mechanical wierdness more
than simulated reflections, but none of us here
has tested spring impulses yet, if i understand
you correct this impulse does not impress you,
so unfortunately interruptor seems to be right

sorry for my english :-)

HM
Neil C

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Roland re-201 impulses in wav. available Reply with quote

It's not so much because of 'linearity' that I don't like the 201 reverb sample. It is the inherent actual sound of the reverb that I don't want to use (i.e. if I had a real 201, I wouldn't use the reverb on its own).
Interruptor is right about what he was saying -however I think that a good sample, of say, a Fisher Spacexpander, would be very useful.
It's the same difference between using a sample of a analog device or instrument and the real thing - for instance using a sample of a Minimoog compared to a real Minimoog - good but not the same - one play of a sample will sound the same (because it is the same) -but try arpeggiating the minimoog sample, and then listen to the real Moog being arpeggiated- big difference. With a real spring reverb you will get a varying response to different sound inputs (or even the same input), but a sample will be the same each time it is used.
However, you could simulate the variance of a real spring reverb by taking several samples and alternating between them (although this would mean having several instances of SIR going at the same time). A good sample set (or indeed single sample) of a Fisher Spacexpander would be something I would use.
In short, getting some good samples of a Fisher Spacexpander, or other boingy verb, is something well-worth pursuing.
DELETED

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Roland re-201 impulses in wav. available Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:38 am    Post subject: Roland re-201 impulses in wav. available Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : DELAY : TAPE DELAY SIMULATORS AND PLUG-INS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: