DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

question about 2-track tape machine Otari MX5050 MKll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> RECORDING MACHINES (ANALOG TAPE, HD MULTITRACKERS, ADAT, ..)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Murrell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:16 am    Post subject: question about 2-track tape machine Otari MX5050 MKll Reply with quote

Hello,
I was looking for tape machine trouble shooting site and found this forum. I recently purchased an Otari MX5050 MKll 2trk machine for $40 usd from eBay auction. I haven't put reels on it yet but it powers up fine and hitting the play button the left side, (I think it is the take up side) spins ok but if I hit reverse or fast forward, nothing happens. I am just wondering what would be the problem (hoping it is a simple fix). I plan to spend what ever it takes for it to work as I believe the machine is repairable...it may not even be broken. Does it need the reels on and tape threaded properly before the reverse and ff funcitons work? I would appreciate any input as to possibly trouble shooting the problem myself. I tried to find info at the Otari site but the machine is not listed any more.

thanks,

Jim
Mike Zee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: question about 2-track tape machine Otari MX5050 MKll Reply with quote

Jim, I am not sure (never had otari) , but it may be the case - it will ff/rw only with the tape in the rall - when tape is out/ends - the machine stops ff/rw. Get the tape and test it befor start fixing it :) heh heh , in general trasport mechanism in machines like this does not work without tape-tension. You can try to move rolls with your hand into position the way they sould be when the tape is in...if you have enough hands :)

/respects,
/Mike Zee aka DrZEE

MZEntertainment.com
Mike Zee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: question about 2-track tape machine Otari MX5050 MKll Reply with quote

btw $40 !!! - good score :)
/mz

MZEntertainment.com
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: question about 2-track tape machine Otari MX5050 MKll Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: question about 2-track tape machine Otari MX5050 MKll Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: question about 2-track tape machine Otari MX5050 MKll Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> RECORDING MACHINES (ANALOG TAPE, HD MULTITRACKERS, ADAT, ..) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: