DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : DELAY : TAPE DELAY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nematod

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 10:45 am    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

Im probably (definitely!) gonna buy a Watkins Copicat off some guy next week , does anyone know how much theyre worth? Im not sure if its a valve or the solid state model though. BTW , the tape loops are still available from watkins : www.wemwatkins.co.uk
interruptor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 4:40 pm    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

Hi Nematod!

Check this page at harmony central with 2 reviews. They mention prices of 50 and 90 british pound.
Over here a copycat is offered for 225US$.. a bit price but they really have nice pics!

finally at this site one is offered for 350 Rand (south africa)

peace
The Interruptor
Nematod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 9:35 am    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

Unfortunately the copicat had been sold , but the seller also has a vintage Binson 3-input echo unit
, its just been serviced as the parts are still available , but it doesnt use tape , it has some magnetic disk inside. this is for £70 stg. is this worth getting or am i better off waiting for a copicat?? any help appreciated.
interruptor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 4:49 pm    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

The Binson homepage gives information about the different models.
Disc echoes were more expensive and looked at as a better quality alternative to tape echo units. As far as I can see the Binsons are generally still being sold at higher prices than tape echoes ==> see these two links: 1, 2
The Binsons seem to be favoured a lot by guitar players who are into the Pink Floyd type of psychedelic music. I couldn't figure out however whether the better quality could actually be a drawback for dub purposes. I guess you should listen to this unit yourself before buying it..
Nematod

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:06 am    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

This one is an Echorec 2 , and has been recently serviced. the parts are still available also. I wouldnt worry about a "too clean" sound , there are plenty of ways to take care of that :)
DC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

I have the experience with these disk echo's that they cannot be feedbacked very good.
I have a copycat with valves and when you feedback the copycat through his own aux send you can get very nice controllable bleeps from the oscillating valves.

i picked one up a couple of years ago for 75 guilders, that's about $30,-us. But i guess i was lucky. it seems like they're worth a lot more.
Karl Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

Hi NEMATOD,

did you buy the binson or did you get a copicat. I am interested in getting hold of a Binson. Do you want to sell, or do you have the deatils from the guy who you mentioned?

My email is gargantuansound@hotmail.com
Cheers
Karl
Morgan Lin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

Hi All,

It seems that there is a general problem with Binson units. The wiring inside the echo unit gets brittle over time and the insulation on the wire cracked and actually falls off. I had to rewire my PE-603-TU completely but the unit is still not functioning.

Morgan
Atomic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

Hi Morgan !

I had to do exactly the same thing with my baby binson . One day it just wasnt working , and upon investigating I found that all the signal wiring inner insulation had crumbled , and everything was shorting.Replaced with good new stuff , and bingo ...up and running again! Its not a difficult job really , but there are lots of wires!
The sound of the binson is cleaner and harder than , say that of a copicat or space echo . Guys like Nigel Godrich and Darren Allison still use this stuff on their records.I heard the latter gettin some amazing dubby noises out of a rebadged sound city echomaster , a couple of years ago,on a mix session..
The Binsons are pretty indestructable too , and eric at binson.com really knows his stuff . If you see one , grab it!

love
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 am    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:03 am    Post subject: How much to pay for a Watkins Copicat? Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : DELAY : TAPE DELAY All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: