DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reducing hiss on your tracks...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> OTHER DUB PRODUCTION TOPICS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Ellison IV

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reducing hiss on your tracks... Reply with quote

I have a bunch of songs that I recorded on my analog 4-track that I transferred to my PC and there is some hiss on the songs. How do I reduce it or get rid of the hiss?
Neil C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reducing hiss on your tracks... Reply with quote

There are several 'pro' audio restoration utilities (that do things like hiss and crackle reduction) that I know of that are around the 600 mark (Waves, Sony, Bias).
The cheapest one I know is Bias Sound Soap which i've seen for 72.
http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundsoap/

I haven't used any of them.
aleph

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reducing hiss on your tracks... Reply with quote

you can use a dobly system(dbx are well knowned) on your analog rec;hard to find but its neccessary to increase dynamic on small analog rec like is probably yours it had sometimes a small compression on your sound i found it on mine really nice. i think the better way to reduce tape hiss is to reduce it on your recorder.
interruptor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reducing hiss on your tracks... Reply with quote

A few years back i bought the audio editor "soundforge" because it has a built-in noise-reduction feature which works quite ok.

actually the noise reduction plug-in can be bought separately for $280. There is also a free trial version: see the webpage
i first worked with the trial version which lasts a week and later decided to get the whole program
interruptor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reducing hiss on your tracks... Reply with quote

in the meantime there may be more advanced noise reduction tools. i heard that wavelab has a noise reduction plug-in which works in realtime.
comparison wavelab/soundforge here
John Ellison IV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:37 am    Post subject: Reducing hiss on your tracks... Reply with quote

What freeware is available for reducing hiss?
interruptor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reducing hiss on your tracks... Reply with quote

i don't know of any freeware hiss reduction.. here's a search on kvr-vst which shows some vst noise reduction plugs starting from 70$
Dub Attack Force

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacity can reduce the noise and is free.. The latest version of Audacity (I'm using the Linux one) is very good... noise reduction works OK if your recording is at 96khz and you use the noise reduction very lightly. I sometimes record to tape and then sample this with a PC, and proceed to clean it up a bit with Audacity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> OTHER DUB PRODUCTION TOPICS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: