Can you run a PC VST plugin on a MAC ?

Moderator: interruptor

jamenb

Post by jamenb » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:44 pm

Hey everyone....a friend sent me a link to this page. Looks amazing! Question: Is there anyway to run any of these VST's on a MAC?

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:33 pm

No, these are VST plugins for the PC. I read that there are also VSTs for Mac, but those have to be generated specifically for the MAC platform.
Since I created these plugins with Synthedit which is a PC only software I cannot create any MAC versions.

The only solution I could imagine would be to run windows on your mac using software like Boot Camp, Parallels, VMware or VirtualBox (which is free). Then install a windows audio software which can host the PC VST plugins.

I guess that may be more complicated than what you hoped for.. :shock:

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:03 am

In linux you can simply use Wine

I think Wine can run under MacOsX but not sure... try searching on google
KoCha, reggae-dub producer

Almighty Dub Records - Independent Reggae Dub Production
Open Dub Foundation - The WorldWide Dub Meeting

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:45 pm

THe Interruptor's vst's are Windows VST's. You can't run them under OSX - there is no way to do it.
A VST has to be completely recompiled to make it run under OSX.
You can get wrappers for OSX vsts to make them into audio units - but the vst has to be a osx VST. There is no wrapper to make a Windows VST behave as an OSX one.

You can get things like Parallels and VMWare Fusion - which allow you to run Windows within OSX - but they are slow, and can't use ASIO - no go for music making. I suspect the same goes for WINE.

If you want to use Windows on a Mac (Intel Mac) you can install boot camp and that will allow you to boot into Windows (instead of osx) which will behave exactly like Windows on any computer - but that won't allow you you to use osx at the same time.

KoCha

Post by KoCha » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:32 am

If you use WinE in linux you can use it thru the JACK system (linux asio equivalent)... so why not on MacOSX...

I recommend you to start trying using Ardour on Mac, then...