Smoking Ganja and Dub - Necessity or negative association?

Moderator: interruptor

overstand

Smoking Ganja and Dub - Necessity or negative association?

Post by overstand » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:58 pm

I am interested to know what people think about the relationship between herb and dub. It is an association that sometimes bothers me. As we know, some of the best Dub was produced in studios where smoking was banned (i.e. Tubbys) so is it purely an individual decision? Do people feel it can help with writing/production? Improve communication with self / inspiration / direction ?

Any thoughts?

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:26 am

As you said yourself: Tubby didn't smoke and he was one of the main contributors to dub history. His dubs were those that inspired me most when I started listening to this type of music. So for me it's no question that great dub/reggae can be created with or without dope.

tradesman

Post by tradesman » Thu May 26, 2011 9:50 pm

i agree its definatly not essential , but i do think it can help you dissolve into the music and notice things you might not usually.
as far producing dub i found when im stoned i sit fiddling with one knob for about three hours and not getting anything done! so i try avoid it in the studio :lol:

Tempore

Post by Tempore » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 am

Focusing on minor details: although perhaps not making major progress, as you said, it can be used as a tool to overcome sticky parts or shed new light on a niggling detail.

I sometimes think about it the same way I do when you test a production on different systems, getting a more balanced view of how it sounds. I think it can be useful to test drive a track in different altered states. Useful, but not essential.

Babs

Post by Babs » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:32 am

I think it depends of who you are...and what herbs or hasch produces on your brain.
Some people need it to mutate into sum mister Hyde...and can open some kind of clothed doors inside them.
Some other may prefer smoke after the job as a reward and for relaxing after the effort.
And some guys have the best groove,the best inspiration,technique etc...and even don't like the smoke of a joint near dem...
In my opinion it's not a question of substances or dub music but a question about people.
For my case I could say dat the vibe is very different according to wether I've smoke or not.(I'm not sure of my frenglish.....:) )

Red eye

Post by Red eye » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:58 am

Yeah, could bring that little extra dimension.
Like spices pon food.
But definitly not essential.