DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic question about soundcards with multiple outputs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> COMPUTER DUB : SOUNDCARDS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dub Attack Force

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Basic question about soundcards with multiple outputs Reply with quote

Sorry about this but I'm far behind the times in terms of tech..

Suppose I buy a soundcard that has multiple outputs, ostensibly for 'surround sound'. Can I route a track to each output channel individually? The software I have in mind is JACK and Ardour multittracker. I plan to route each instrument track to a separate output on the soundcard, and from take each channel from the soundcard to an analog mixer, then dub it while recording the mixed output to tape. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance
Neil C

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. That should work.
In your DAW you should see presented all the available outputs on each track (I don't know if you will have to set these up in JACK) which you can then choose between.

You do of course want an interface with multiple outs of the same type - jacks or XLRs preferably (some interfaces will say they have several outs but they are in fact the total of all outs like jack, digital, phono etc.).
Dub Attack Force

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Excellent! It's exactly what I need then. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> COMPUTER DUB : SOUNDCARDS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: