FILTERING AND CUTTING BASS FREQUENCIES

Moderator: interruptor

F050Dub

FILTERING AND CUTTING BASS FREQUENCIES

Post by F050Dub » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:47 am

hi...

i would ask you all how do you filter the bass... how do you make it, what do you pratically do...

the same i ask you about cutting the obtained sound.

give thanx,
stefano/F050Dub

p.s.: after a lots of attemps (more thana year....) i posted a new track on my myspace (www.myspace.com/f050dub). please, listen to it... critics are well accepted (if constructives....)

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:03 pm

Hi,
You bass sound is very subby and can only be just about heard on my secondary monitors which are of a reasonable size.
If you've cut high frequencies on the bass you might need to bring them back - or if there are none then maybe you should layer another sound with it to make the bass line more audible on smaller speakers (you might never get it strong on very small speakers but it should be coming through a bit more on the ones I'm listening on).
If you are only intending to play it on massive soundsystems you might be alright.

Using my sub the bass is massive (maybe too much so) - but still could do with some higher frequency definition. I was a bit afraid it was going to damage my sub.
If you can't monitor down to 20 hz - cut everything below what you can hear out with a low shelf/shelving eq or high pass filter. You'll be shocked what is going on down there if you can only monitor down to certain level.
What are you monitoring on?

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:14 pm

Hello,

I just listened to your "Southern Steppah" on myspace. I like the way you have made the track develop over the 5 minutes it's long with some new ideas appearing along the journey. As Neil has mentioned already the bass is reall very deep. I compared your tune to a few tracks on CD by the likes of Alpha&Omega, Jah Warrior, Dubcreator who I consider to be trusted authorities in the field of steppers dub. Whereas it is true that a (almost) clean sine bass like yours can create the intended effect on a big sound system I also see that these other people all rely on bass sounds containing some higher frequencies (harmonics). I assume they do this to make their music listenable on normal home stereo equipment as well. Common techniques are: layering other sounds like muted guitar or using subtle distortion / saturation on the bass. I achieved good results with the free blockfish plugin.

What do you mean by "cutting the obtained sound"?

F050Dub

Post by F050Dub » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:43 pm

hi mr. interruptor and hi neil c!!

@neil c: you asked me about my monitors.... monitor???!!! and how!!! my "monitors" are a bad tdk headfones. i use to "watch" the sound on a spectrum-meter... i'm like a deaf, because i haven't got monitors or good amps. just trying to "imagine" the sound... mixing and a little mastering are by dadub (a fiend of mine: www.myspace.com/dadubpro) and he has not monitors too... maybe in the (next) future...

@interruptor: well... for me the bass (as entity) is jah shaka, and i love (love love) rhytm and sound basses too... i wrote Southern Steppah in a particular moment, i was very angry. in fact is a song on the situation in my little land, which is full of oil (in $$$ there are reserves for a complexive amount of 55.000.000.000 of euro) and there is a brutal expoliation and depredation. however, yes!! that song is for big sound systems... the aim was a big scoop-binz ;)

when i say "cutting the obtained sound" i mean this passage: 1- saw tooth; 2- filter the saw tooth; 3- cut with eq the saw tooth flitered.... so, "cutting ect.. etc.." means the 3rd step of the above passage... iknow my english is too formal...

aloha,
stefano/F050Dub

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:19 pm

You can get a decent pair of headphones for less than £100 (and the best for about £180) - I recommend you get a pair with good bass extension. It's not really worth buying monitors for less than £300 - you will probably do better with good headphones.
Beyer DT231's have good bass and they are only about £30, and they are good in general.

I would say you shouldn't cut your sound so much, so you leave some more of the higher frequencies in it.

F050Dub

Post by F050Dub » Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:04 pm

give thanx!!

yes, neil... here -in this bloody country called italy- technology is toooo much expensive... if you try to buy, for example, an electribe they want more or less 750 euro!!!!)

ciiiaaaoooo-aloha!!
stefano/F050Dub

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:01 pm

Have you looked at Thomann? - they are reliable (as reliable as these things are) and have among the cheapest prices.
http://www.thomann.de/it/index.html

They have DT231's for 29 Euros - they deliver to Italy (at a cost of 20 Euros).
Electribes for 519 Euros.

F050Dub

Post by F050Dub » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:47 pm

thank you mr. interruptor for the "fish" package...... really, you helped me!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

aloha,
stefano/F050Dub