DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tips & advice 2 make a melodica fit in da mix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : MELODICA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yvo2000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Tips & advice 2 make a melodica fit in da mix Reply with quote

Here is a new subject by Yvo2000 (i hope you don't feel like i'm abusin')

What kind of audio treatments and fx (rvrb, delay, phaser, etc...) you guys are usin' on a dry melodica sound to make it fit in da mix ? On some modern dub artist have a really special dub melodica sound, how do you think they manage it ?
What are your tricks and advices ?

Big up to the whole interruptor's community for sharin' and helpin' to keep dub alive...
interruptor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Tips & advice 2 make a melodica fit in da mix Reply with quote

delay + reverb. that's it as far as i am concerned..

here's another thread about recording melodica
ezeh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:26 pm    Post subject: Tips & advice 2 make a melodica fit in da mix Reply with quote

Clinic is a new art-punk band that uses lot of melodica. its an instrument with uses very specific frequencies, i dont think that you will need any special treatment for it to sound good in a mix.
Dubdaze

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Tips & advice 2 make a melodica fit in da mix Reply with quote

I basicaly use Reverb , thats obvious, I think reverb is the basic coating any sound need.

but depending on how I wanna use the melodica , each track is a new challenge I think I can use delays, flange , phase, anything! Bring it on! hehehe
Peter M

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Tips & advice 2 make a melodica fit in da mix Reply with quote

yes delay and reverb are the staples for me...
I like the sound of mel a bit back in the mix, using a larger room/hall reverb compared to the drums and etc

of course u can go mad with the phaser etc...

I find its one of the easier things to sit right inna mix myself, but Im no expert :)
G

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Tips & advice 2 make a melodica fit in da mix Reply with quote

Touch wah for mad prof feel.

(you can try Blue Filter plug-in to emulate that)
overstand

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone any tips / ideas for prevent the key presses being recorded? I can hear the clicking of the keys even over the notes especially when playing chords.
JahNice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: oVerstand Reply with quote

Greetings,

you should try to put your mic in a position where the key-clicking isnt to loud(under the melodica).

Here is what i did: (I dont play the melodica directly through the mouthpiece but through an air-tube..) I built myself a construction witch is like a wooden box under the melodica. The upper side of the box is open and there the melodica fits almost perfectly. On the side of the box there is also a smaler opening where you can put your mic when recording.. with this costruction i dont have any keyclicks when i dont want them...

But also i think that sometimes its a nice rootsey effect to hear the key-clicks..

P.S. nice music with positive vibe on your myspace, hope to hear some melodica on there soon..

One Love Inna City
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : MELODICA All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: