Problems with bass sound

Moderator: interruptor

echohead

Problems with bass sound

Post by echohead » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi out there! <BR> <BR>got problems with getting a real cool bass sound &#40;using synths&#41;! are there any "standards" for editing the envelope - don´t know if it is the correct english word - i mean something like standard parameters for Attack, Decay, Sustain...! <BR>I´ve already been reading the dub scrolls! <BR>hoping for help! <BR>if it is interesting: using Korg01/W, microKorg, Roland JV...&#40;?&#41;, Roland JD...&#40;?&#41; also some other stuff and a fullparametric 4-Band EQ <BR>Thanx <BR> echohead

echohead

Problems with bass sound

Post by echohead » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:49 pm

forgot to ask a &#40;maybe silly&#41; question: <BR>do you always use compression on synthbass? <BR>any standard parameters? ;O&#41;

interruptor

Problems with bass sound

Post by interruptor » Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:03 pm

i propose to program a sound from scratch using the tipps in the first paragraph on the <a href="http://www.interruptor.ch/dub_bass.shtml">bass page</a>: <BR><font color="119911"> <BR>- Start with a square or triangle wave and filter away almost all of the harmonics using a low pass filter. You will end up with something close to a sine wave. <BR>- Program the amplifier envelope so that you get a sharp attack and a long sustain phase. A short peak at the beginning of the curve gives you a nice "finger-pluck" <BR>- Alternatively you could start with a sampled note from a real bass which will result in a more natural sound. <BR>- Of course use the EQ on your mixing desk to boost the low frequencies. &#40;Caution: Filter away frequencies below ~20 Hz. These will only stress the amps and speakers of the system and not do much for the sound!&#41; <BR></font> <BR>the outcome will differ from one synth to the next so try another if the results on the first one are not good. <BR>compression in the classic sense should not be necessary as you can shape the envelope directly on the synth, but adding a bit of soft distortion or saturation can help to bring the synth sound alive. if recording on tape you can achieve this by setting the record level too hot. if not use a plugin like <a href="http://www.kvraudio.com/get/861.html">blockfish</a> or magneto.

Klaus5

Post by Klaus5 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:34 pm

Ive found using 4front Bass (http://www.kvraudio.com/get/602.html) VSTI, and using an EQ, boosting the lower frequencies slightly and putting most the higher frequencies right down to minimum, give a nice low smooth bass sound. Using amplifier and speaker simulation such as the 'mda combo' or Guitar Rig i can tweak the sound to get the desired results.

Thats for a traditional electic bass sound, for a synth bass such as Jah Shaka or Zion Train, theres a plugin called TAL Bassline (i think) which gives a nice sound.