Jamaican films? Spoken words?

Moderator: interruptor

Chang Terhune

Post by Chang Terhune » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:15 pm

Hi, I'm looking for anything with a lot of Jamaican dialogue. Movies, documentaries. Anything. Lemme have it.

Ghede

Post by Ghede » Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:36 pm

ROCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Edu

Post by Edu » Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:37 pm

This's a classic!!!!! <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.rockersthemovie.com/" TARGET="_top">http://www.rockersthemovie.com/</A> <BR> <BR> <BR>Greetings from Brasil, Irie!

Klaus5

Post by Klaus5 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:22 pm

Rockers is brilliant. The best Jamaican/reggae film Im aware of!

Roots Time is more focused on rastafari. Its about 2 guys driving around in a beautiful car selling records and helping a radio dj find a natural healer "Bongo Hu" for his sick girlfriend, after convincing them not to utilise "babylon's chemical fyah" at the hospital.

Shottas
is a bit like Scarface or Blow, but set in Jamaica adn Miami. About 3 friends who grow up in the ghetto, get into big crime etc.

Rude Boy: Jamaican Don
is about gangsters. An aspiring singer tries to get out of the crime/murder scene. Pretty low budget and cheesey, but worth a watch non the less.

Third World Cop is about a maverick cop trying to save his old buddies from gun related crime. Its again very low budget and cheesey, but incredibly amusing for that fact.

Country Man is also good.. i think.. i cant really remember much about it to be honest, other than its quite focussed on rastafari again. Its about a ganja plane flown by europeans/americans which goes down in the countryside and the people are helped by a rasta (the "Countryman"?)
There is also a sequel which I havnt seen.

Iev also heard Dancehall Queen is good, but not seen it yet myself. I believe it to be about an aspiring dancehall singer. (well i guess thats kind of obvious from the title!)

Excuse me if my brief synopsies are a bit off the facts. I have a pretty shoddy memory for the details of movies and often get them confused!

EDIT: Ive just realised ive made a major goof and not mentioned The Harder They Come which is about an aspiring reggae artist (Jimmy Cliff) who tries to get into the music business thinking it will make him rich and famous, but as usual the producers rip him off. He gets mixed up in teh ganja trade and eventually goes a bit mental and tries to turn himself into a robin hood type hero for the poor. Very probably the most famous Jamaican or Reggae movie.