Setting up a studio without a computer

Moderator: interruptor

Master Blaster

Setting up a studio without a computer

Post by Master Blaster » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I'm trying to setup a dub studio without a computer. I don't mind using a computer to feed songs into a sampler but I'd like to avoid using a computer for any real processing or producing. I want to do it all with hardware. I already have an assortment of synths, midi controllers, guitars, basses, drum machines and sequencers. What else do I need to get started?

I know a mixing desk is certainly needed. I'll need to scoop up various
effects pedals or modules. What about sampler like the Boss SP-303? Can I just feed a sampler songs through a computer or mp3 player and go from there?

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:13 pm

Hi,

The SP 303, while having basic sequencing functions, is basically something you would use for one shot samples or loops. It has line ins and outs on RCA/phono connectors - so you can feed it signals from any line level source. It uses smart media cards, so you won't be able to transfer things digitally from a computer unless you have a smart media reader/writer.
64mb smart media cards are the maximum size it can use - and they and smaller are becoming less available so snap what you need up while you have the chance.

What are you going to be recording on to?

Master Blaster

Post by Master Blaster » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:36 pm

I wasn't really thinking of recording the finished product; I really just want to get some live dub shows going in my sound lab.

From what I can tell at the very least I'll need to scoop up a 4 or 8 track recorder, a mixing desk, and effects pedals/modules. A second recorder if I want to capture the output. Does this sound right?

Can anyone recommend a mixing desk? Money isn't an issue to an extent (would like to spend less than a grand).

JahNice

Allen&Heath

Post by JahNice » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:54 am

If i had that kind of money to spend, i guess i would be going for a nice Allen & Heath analog mixing console from ebay or something like that..
From what I can tell at the very least I'll need to scoop up a 4 or 8 track recorder, a mixing desk, and effects pedals/modules. A second recorder if I want to capture the output. Does this sound right?
sounds absolutely right..