Anti-bypass sound

Moderator: interruptor

ocoughi

Anti-bypass sound

Post by ocoughi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:29 am

Hi everybody!
you can hear my prods & freedownload it via my page in Reggaedubwise website: http://reggaedubwise.com/Anti_Bypass//

recorded with logic audio and mixed in one shot with analog desk & effects, except the phaser (logicaudio basic phaser). for the analog part: roland re-201 & sbf-325; ART tube preamp&effects, EV crossovers, redson ec25 and homemade stuff... with a mackie mixer...

enjoy & tell me your feelings about it...
Respect.
Manu

JahNice

BigUp

Post by JahNice » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:10 pm

You got some wicked dub vibes there.. I like particularly alfa's walk, flangerman, blasta song & Dub allot.. Only your overall Sound / Mix could use a little improvement in my opinion! What i mean is, it could be more transparent, it sounds kind of muffled.. What kind of Soundcard are you using?

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:15 pm

thanks...
the soundcard is a motu 828mk2, the "muffled sound" is due to my mixer i think... i know that my sound is a bit dirty but it's like this... dirty doesn't mean cold, my analog effects are not very transparent too but are warm. most of the keyboards i use are old ones, very,very dirty...
no mastering, no final compression, the final mix is recorded from the tape out of my hifi amp (a luxman),so he does the final compression...

another thing is that the motu828 is not the best "transparent" card! my brother roots massacre has an apogee sound card and it's another world!

respect...
Manu

JahNice

Post by JahNice » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Greetings Manu!

I like the sound dirty and raw, thats how my sound is also actually. And your sound is definately not cold... Like i said i really enjoy your music, and i come to visit your page again and again in the last days to get a good dose of dub..

I comment about the mix/transparency, because thats something in your music that can be done in a more professional way, atleast thats what i thought when i first heard your dubs. I also think some compression could do good there.

Also from your page i got to the page of JAHNO and i was surprised cause his sound seem almost twice as loud if compared with yours and everything can be heard very clearly. I dont know, maybe its not fair to do a-b comparing because he maybe has allot more professional gear, experience ect.. But his sound is a high standart in my opinion and it can be used as a good example in matters like: overall sound/mixing/transparency.

Anywayz.. I hope you dont mind my criticism, i just wanted to share my honest opinion because i thought maybe you can use it and get to an even better result. To me your music is highly enjoyable with the sound you've got now, so dot change it, just keep on dubbing!!!

BIG :respect:

JahNice aka yiannis

Zutao Premium Dub

Post by Zutao Premium Dub » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:06 pm

I like the fact that the sound is dynamic - let the listener turn up the amp if they want to hear it louder. Just my opinion..

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:39 pm

Hi
These dubs sound great to me. :thumbsup: I second Zutao's opinion: I wouldn't worry about the sound not being so loud.
There are too many productions around these days which are overcompressed for the sake of loudness. Music like that sounds loud and punchy on cheap boomboxes or car hifi's but when played back on a decent pair of monitors you can clearly hear distortion! I even heard this on major pop artist CDs, mastered at Sterling Sound NY - They don't do that for lack of mastering skills but because they are probably told to do so by their record companies.. :puke:

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:15 pm

I think the overall sound is fine too.
I would say though that some of the high bass notes sound not very where near as loud as the lowest notes, maybe that's how you want it.

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:26 am

no problem Jahnice! criticism helps to go forward! i put this topic in this website because i know that a lot of skilled dubbers are here! i'm not that kind of man that considers his work as perfect...
comparing to jahno's prods and with a lot of other sounds there is an evident lack of transparency, it's sure... as interruptor said,i'm not a fan of overcompressed sound and compression is a quite hard tool! but a lot of quality is due to the use of the compression in the overallmix and also in the recording of the instruments, the bass "problems" is certainly due to this; a simple bassline is easyer to compress than a "chanting" one! big problem when in a soundsystem some notes desappear! i agree with Neil for that...

Zutao Premium Dub

Post by Zutao Premium Dub » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:47 pm

It can't ever be 'perfect' as all music appreciation is subjective, but I like your tracks man. Great treatment of drums and chords. Good work with the filters and tube sound 8-)

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Thanks Zutao! i've just heard your sound on youtube; heavy and hypnotic! some friends are sleeping here so i can't listen it loud but but be sure that tomorrow i'll appreciate your tracks EXTRA-LOUD!! Respect!
Anytime...
Manu

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:51 am

hi! i uploaded yesterday a new track on my RDW page called "the bees Queen"; i worked the sound with a vintage mixer, i'm restoring it, the aux doesn't work yet so i use it only as a preamp , the main out of my mackie goes in it and also some separated instruments. The result is totaly different from my passed prods, it's another world! i discovered some mids/high freqs that the mackie has simply made deasepeared!!
vintage stuff is definitly the best!!
tell me your impressions....

i buyed it 60 euros in a brocante, the guy didn't know what he was selling...

JahNice

Post by JahNice » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Greetings Ocoughi,

again a great pleasure to hear the new tracks on your site!!
Especially Give i strenght Jah with Sammy Gold (the different
mix version is my favourite).. Very very good dub composition,
great effect treatment, and cool text/voicing from S.Gold. have you
considered to release some music soon? i want to buy (vinyl) 8-)

The new(old) mixer seems to do a good work to. I know what you mean,
those mackie mixers got too much hype over some years.. And the EQs
on them are way too transparent and weak and can not be compared to
vintage EQs imo. EQs on many vintage mixers seem too not only
increase the filtered frequency but many also add some "dirt" and some
of their own colour which makes the processed signal much stronger than
the original..and this is where many newer mixers and digital stuff fail i guess..

Big Respect everytime
One

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks Jahnice...
The work with this mixer is diferent than before, the master of my mackies goes in two channels of the merlaud mixer; i had to change all the levels and equs of each channels in logic audio. The Merlaud mixer has not much lowmids but it boost the high-mids and highs; the first version of give i strenght was very poor in lowmids, the last one is better...
the diference between the phones out of the Mackie & the Merlaud is crazy, even if the bass & high eq are set to 12h...
as you well said, it has his own colour and i'm learning to control it days after days,dubs after dubs.
For the vinyls, well, each dubber wants to produce vinyls, the existence of dub music is connected to vinyls production. time'll come...
we produced 3 12" with my crew (dub addict sound system), but it's not my personal prods.
send me in PM your mail and i'll send ya an unrealesed dub of Give i strengh jah...
Respect.
Manu

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Tue May 12, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi dubbers!
i uploade some 2 new versions of an old track i'm refreshing in the reggaedubwise website and also a melodica version in versionist.
the track is called "speaking toys battle round 2/3 and 4"...
Manu.

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:19 pm

greetings dubbers!
new track in RDW called Babylon DC...
the HH in the take one was too much loud, so i changed it and in the take 5 i think it's the kick that is too loud... can't listen at high volume this days due to burned filter in left speaker...
there is another track called "super 76", i exchanged during few days my re201 with the dynacord super 76 of my brother and used it a lot in the dub versions... very diferent approach of the delay use between these 2 great machines...
the center speed crossfader of the dynacord is a crucial tool!
hope you'll enjoy....
peace

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:00 am

Yep!
new track on RDW. "Warrior" with Sammy Gold. First shot with vocal and dub version; i had to put some guitars and still working on the sound and drums.
All distortions worked with a Tascam tape deck recorder, throwing the sound loud in it!! i don't use the tape, just the preamps of the machine...
Peace.

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:39 pm

new dub.... since the take one i put a final vocal version and two dubs (2 & 5). i made the 5th today... i was experimenting new hardware chain...all the skanks(keys ,guitars,pumps)goes in a ART tube preamp ( night bass) with a active crossover in insert of him... to make this crunchy filtered skanks...
enjoy....

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:05 pm

Greetings dubbers,

after some month of silence on the the web here is some fresh stuff
"Ghana strikes again dub 1&2"

listen and download at the dubark: http://www.dubark.com/Anti_Bypass/info.php
also in talawa:
http://www.talawa.fr/anti+bypass#/profile

Enjoy and if you like it, then share it...
Peace&dub
Manu aka Anti Bypass

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:26 pm

yep! i 've a soundcloud with some tracks....
the link is below....
enjoy...
Peace&dub
8-)