DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spacexpander: overview, image, sample

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : REVERB : SPRING REVERB : FISHER K-10 SPACEXPANDER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
interruptor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:39 pm    Post subject: Spacexpander: overview, image, sample Reply with quote

Spacexpander

- tube driven spring reverb manufactured in the sixties by the US HiFi-Company "Fisher" (Also well known for their Radio Receivers).
- 2 separate units: spring cabinet and tube pre/post-amplifier
- separate potentiometer for control of reverb amount and bypass function (used as remote control)
- Was used in Hammond organs, home Stereo sets, radio stations and even for car Hifi systems
- current supply: 110V AC only
- mono (one reverb channel)
- high noise level (by today's standards)

This is presumably the reverb unit that was used at KingTubby's studio:
King Tubby's friend and follower King Jammy (then "Prince Jammy") mentioned in an interview that they used a modified fisher reverb: "... The reverb unit that we used to use there, it was a Fisher reverb, an' we change it up to become a King Tubby and Fisher! (laughs). ..."
Since Fisher produced no other reverbs I assume that this IS the unit they used.

So far I tried out 5 different spring reverbs myself and none comes closer to Tubby's reverb sound than this one.
Check these two samples and compare yourself:

1. a low frequency "pop" going through the spring reverb at King Tubby's (sampled from the very start of scientist's album "Scientific Dub" on Clocktower Records)
click here (44khz/16 bit, 155kbyte)

2. A bass drum sample sent through a fisher spacexpander, the high spring is muted with a piece of lace, sampled directly from the spacexpander output, no eq, no compression
click here (44khz/16 bit, 121kbyte)
john

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:27 pm    Post subject: Spacexpander: overview, image, sample Reply with quote

If you retube it with NOS tubes...it sounds even "better" and by saying this I don't mean "cleaner"..you'll pick up some fidelity/headroom, but not at the expense of the sound.

I agree with D..this is the best reverb for dub. You can also use it as a "tube warmer" if you turn the reverb down...that works pretty well too.
interruptor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:31 pm    Post subject: Spacexpander: overview, image, sample Reply with quote

John: How does one find out which tubes to get? Where do you get yours? This article about New Old Stock (=NOS) tubes indicates that one should be careful.
audioforge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Spacexpander: overview, image, sample Reply with quote

Daniel. i don t know if you speak french or german but if you understand french this page is for you. choice of actual tubes with their tonal sound spec. for amps and reverb. http://optimisetonampli.chez.tiscali.fr/lampe.htm let me know if you want french nos tubes adress audioforge
Neil C

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an auction on ebay at the moment of a pristine Spacexpander (starting at $1000). I won't post the link because it won't work after 6 months.
Anyway it has good photos so I'm posting them to show what a 'new' Spacexpander looks like.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : REVERB : SPRING REVERB : FISHER K-10 SPACEXPANDER All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: