DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about VST plugins

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> BEGINNERS QUESTIONS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richmo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Question about VST plugins Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Off to a good start in my dub adventures, and I'm trying to move forward with my learning. These are probably pretty simple questions, but I couldn't find any other threads about them.

I think I get what VST's are. They're just effects applied to the track right? So is there a way I can send a VST effect from my computer to my mixer and apply it like an outboard effect. Does that make sense.

Also, after you've downloaded a VST plugin, how do I add it to my list of effects in Logic? I use a mac, if that makes a difference.
Neil C

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VST ('Virtual Studio Technology') is just Steinberg's name for the plug ins developed for Cubase - many other DAWS, like Logic, can use this format now. Cubase used to be called Cubase VST.
VST's are plug ins - and plug ins can be effects, instruments or processing or utilities of other kinds.

If you want VSTs to work on your Mac they must be OSX VSTs - VTSs made for Windows won't work in OSX and vice versa.
Most VST installers will install them in the correct place. I think the VST itself goes in Library/Audio/Plug Ins/VST and depending on the VST they may put bits of themselves in other folders too.

You could use an effects send/return on you mixer and use you plug in effects just as you would an outboard effects unit - it would in effect be you computer acting as the effects unit.
You will need a multi channel interface if you want to do mutli channel dubbing on your desk. But if you want to route the normal audio through a channel from your computer and the effect seperately for each channel this might use up a lot of channels.

If you wanted to use your computer as an effects rack you would have to create a sperate track in your DAW for each effect and set that effect to 100% wet if you were adjusting the mix of it on your mixer.
You could use a MIDI control surface if you want to adjust effects - you then wouldn't have to use as many channels on your interface.
Richmo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Thanks Neil! Alot of good info there. Told me everything I needed to know.

Man these archives are great! I spend hours just going back through all these old threads. There's no other resource like this anywhere else.

BIG UP to INTERRUPTER & all the DUB MASSIVE here!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> BEGINNERS QUESTIONS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: