check the video at around 1: 04 ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNItfmND_FE

or this one a round 0:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUKPdRl_EG0

thanks for the help

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:32 pm

Difficult to be exact.
It's a synth sound - it may have reverb built into the patch or added. It's possible it's some kind of effects unit. Some bass multi-effects and general effects units have a 'synth' effect that adds a synth sound to the source audio signal. When the bass starts in the live video there is nothing to keep in time with so an effect unit seems more likely (as opposed to a sequenced synth). The dubber on the desk would then be able then to switch that sound in and out. One way or another it's a synthetic sound - how it's being triggered I don't know. The video may not show everyone and someone could just be playing a synth along with the bass.
The actual reverb is not particularly special (by which I mean most reverbs would do).

del VUELO

thats no synth!

Post by del VUELO » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:55 pm

thats an electric bass thru some sort of overdrive, but very important to play with your plucking hand on the neck near the 14th fret. the overdrive will simultaneously saturation and limit the bass turning the sound into something resembling a square-wave. that sound is then dipped into a spring or plate reverb. killa sista is an awesome all-girl band from japan.. the bassist plays primarily electric bass, maybe some synth, but i've never heard it nor seen it. (this bass sound is also quite common on mad professor records)

:-)
infinitely
VUELO
"to the unwise: nothing; to the wise, more than enough"

Neil C

Re: thats no synth!

Post by Neil C » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:57 am

del VUELO wrote:thats an electric bass thru some sort of overdrive,
Yes, I think you might be right.
del VUELO wrote: but very important to play with your plucking hand on the neck near the 14th fret.
The player in the video is nowhere near plucking over the neck.
Last edited by Neil C on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

del VUELO

video

Post by del VUELO » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:03 am

that may be, regardless, the closer you play to the middle of the vibrating string, the more square-wave the tone.
infinitely
VUELO
"to the unwise: nothing; to the wise, more than enough"

Neil C

Re: video

Post by Neil C » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:06 am

del VUELO wrote:that may be, regardless, the closer you play to the middle of the vibrating string, the more square-wave the tone.
Yes. But in the video the natural bass sound is still clealy audible along with the effect - and making it more square would alter its standard sound.

It's also worth noting that not all distortions will give that sound. The two I've just tried couldn't do it. The growly nature of the sound is reminiscent of a synth waveform being played on lower notes which is what led me to my initial post, which may be wrong.