DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Description of Lee Perry's phaser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : PHASER AND FLANGER
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil C

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Description of Lee Perry's phaser Reply with quote

I'm reading People Funny Boy - the David Katz biography of Lee Pee at the moment. This is what it says about Perry's phaser:
'While passing through New York on his last business trip of 1975, Perry had come across a demonstration model of a Mutron phaser effects unit that had not yet been issued on the market; somewhat similar to the later Mutron Bi-Phase, the Mutron Super Phasing model seems never to have reached the actual production stage.'

So it seems that exact Black Ark phaser sound was truly unique.
overstand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See Audio Damage Phase 2 VST for a plugin simulator:

http://www.audiodamage.com/effects/product.php?pid=AD008
Neil C

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, from the demo clips that VST does seem good. It's modelled I guess on the production bi-phase (although going by those demo clips it's not quite as nice as the real thing). I won't be ditching my proudly owned real (purple!) bi-phase for it.
overstand

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 1 Neil. If you have the real thing then im sure its gonna be hard to use anything else! Is the purple one somehow different to the blue one? just out of curiosity, did u have to pay big bucks for it or do things still turn up in random for sale ads where people dont know the value of them?
Neil C

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I undertsand - an early batch of Bi-Phases were painted purple by mistake but they released them anyway. In lower light the purple looks evry similar to the correct blue, you can understand how the mistake may have happened. Anyway being purple just means it was an earlier unit, and like vintage things like this, early often is more valued (changes can occur to the exact components and build quality in the production life of a model and in an analogue unit those can make a difference) - I don't know if an earlier bi-phase does sound any better.
I got mine from e-bay for about 300. Mine is cosmetically very battered which may have kept the price down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : PHASER AND FLANGER All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: