Dub wise on live playing instruments

Moderator: interruptor

siddh

Dub wise on live playing instruments

Post by siddh » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:15 am

Irie people!
I play in a reggae band and we'd like to add some dub to our live performance.

My question is:
When the dub master is dubbing, do the instrument players drop as they want or, for exemple, the guitar player keeps on playing the skanks all the time and the dub master mutes the guitar channel on the mixer as he needs?

Hope I explained my problem well wnough.
Waiting for a replay.

Big Up and Respect!
Smile is the biggest gift you can offer to yourself!

Siddh (ZonaSun)

Reggae outa Switzerland
www.zonasun.net

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi

When dubbing with a live band I think it's better to give each player the autonomy to "mute himself". The dub is then created as a group improvisation. Often guitar players bring their own effects along anyway so they will be happy to dub themselves. Being dubbed by someone else while playing an instrument is an experience one has to get used to. Apart from this muting guitar/bass players from the main desk will not work as they usually have their own amp onstage. So unless you are playing in a football arena they will still be heard after you mute them. The same applies for the drummer.
Instead of the group improvisation approach you could use some sort of signals or shouts to cue the players on when to play or not.

Also read the following thread where the matter was discussed earlyer:
http://www.interruptor.ch/Php5/dubboard ... .php?t=543

I once played as a dub mixer with a reggae band. The musicians set up their instruments on stage like they would for a normal concert. One person was in charge of the main mixing desk of the venue (like at a normal concert). Then I joined the group on stage with a small mixer only for the effects. I picked up the signal of each musician with a microphone an plugged it into a separate channel of my mixer. Using the effect sends of my on-stage mixer I fed two delay units and a reverb unit. I mixed the three effect units together on stage to a simple stereo effect signal which I sent to the main mixer of the venue. As the musicians all had a good understanding of what dub is about the result was great.

I wish you good luck and hope you will enjoy your own dub experience! :sun:

Mikel

My view about DUBBING

Post by Mikel » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:32 am

Hi...............
Actually, I have clear knowledge about this topic but what i think , i am saying.
Sometime, they've never looked back and Dubwise came together and always on the lookout for fresh sounds.