Comptine d'Un Autre Été Remix (Amelie soundtrack)

Moderator: interruptor

Klaus5

Comptine d'Un Autre Été Remix (Amelie soundtrack)

Post by Klaus5 » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:47 pm

Not strictly dub, but has dub influences.

http://www.muziboo.com/music/Comptine-d ... rsion/7740

Comments and criticisms much appreciated.

Thank you

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:44 pm

Fusing this theme from the amelie movie with dub is a great idea. I did not know the original tune. My first impression was that the piano arpeggios are very fast and sound rather harsh and mechanic. Then I listened to the original (http://www.cede.ch/en/music-cd/frames/f ... obj=256554) and realised that your piano playing sounds very computerized compared to the original.
You could try to record that piano live for a more human feel. It might happen though that the rhythmic feel of the dub parts would then clash with the piano theme.
- regarding the arrangement: I think the change from the amelie theme to the dub part happens very abruptly. You could try to interweave the parts some more.
- regarding the mix: Apart from the dub reverb effects the mix seems to be completely dry. I think it would sound more natural if you added a bit of room ambience to the drum parts.
- The reverb sounds like a spring reverb yet also a bit digital. Is that a spring reverb plugin?

Klaus5

Post by Klaus5 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:19 am

thank you very much for your comments. you have given me plenty to consider when working with this track.

i agree that the piano doesnt sound natural. unfortunately i dont have access to a midi keyboard at this time (or even a real piano) so recording live isnt an option. I think i might try using samples from the original, probably even slow the whole thing down a bit to fit more with the feel of the original.

As for adding ambiance to the drums (and other instruments, so they dont sound quite so synthetic), could you give me some tips for using vst effects to achieve this, as its a problem that is bugging me with a lot of my tracks. Ive tried various combinations of chorus, flangers, your wow & flutter tape distortion and reverb, but dont really get close to sounding natural. I am very much a beginner, so even things you might think are obvious would benefit me.

The plugin i used for reverb was the "twang reverb" and "bass amp", and possibly even the "studio reverb" as well, i forget, of GuitarRig VST (ive made a topic on GuitarRig here http://www.interruptor.ch/Php5/dubboard ... php?t=1201)

I think i will use a bit less distortion also, as with repeated listening, the reverb sounds too harsh and stands out from the rest of the track too much.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:14 pm

Regarding ambience on drums: Typical reverb presets as they can be found on plugins or hardware reverb machines simulate a room which is far too big for use on a drum track. In a typical drum recording room there are just a few discrete reflections from the walls which constitute the ambience. Reverb programmers call these the "early reflections". (In large rooms with hard walls there would also be a so called "reverb tail". This is a more complex sound resulting from many echoes travelling back from the far edges of the room or being reflected several times then mixing together)
So what you need to do is dial in either a "small room" or "early reflections" preset on your reverb unit. Some reverb plugins (like the artsacoustic reverb or the kijaerhus classic reverb) allow to adjust the early reflections and the reverb tail separately. In such a case you would set the reverb tail short and low in volume.