Name this mystery dub tune

Moderator: interruptor

oldgravity

Name this mystery dub tune

Post by oldgravity » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:30 am

I really like this tune and have been trying for a few years to find out who it's by:

mystery tune.mp3

Here's what I know:

This is the first track played during a radio set that Squarepusher did for a British radio show called Breezeblock, in 1999 I believe. Although the file says it is from 1996, the Breezeblock did not exist at this time. Squarepusher did another set in 2004 - this is not the one. This tune is definitely from his earlier set. As far as I know, it is not a Squarepusher tune - I believe this set was all other people's records, and then he did a separate set of his own work. I could be wrong on this, because I have not heard his entire catalog.

I have already tried to contact the former host of the Breezeblock, as well as look on the setlist page for the Breezeblock. This page does not have info for this earlier set and the host did not remember. Short of asking Tom Jenkinson himself (which would be neat, but I don't have to tell you how unlikely that is), my only hope is someone here will recognize it.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:35 pm

Sorry.. I hear this for the first time. :think:

oldgravity

Post by oldgravity » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:54 pm

I got someone to use something called "Shazam" to find out what it is. Shazam listens to a song and figures out the name of itl.

Turns out the song is in fact by Squarepusher, called "Our Underwater Torch". Although it's not a traditional dub style, I think it is a beautiful tune.

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:25 pm

That's really a great service..

I got into Squarepushers music when he released the Vic Acid EP in 1997. Those uber-mad breakbeats where unheard of before (at least for me). Later I also bought his album "hard normal daddy" which wasn't as inspiring (probably a bit more conventional if I may dare use that term in connection with Squarepusher ;-)). I didn't even know he also recorded dub influenced material like the track you posted.