Vintage EH Bad stone MK2 phase shifter

Moderator: interruptor

ocoughi

Vintage EH Bad stone MK2 phase shifter

Post by ocoughi » Tue May 18, 2010 3:20 pm

Greatings,
I buyed this pedal 3 weeks ago and couldn't wait to modifie her.
at first, this is a very very good pedal for dub because it has THE sound and a possibility to move manualy the freq of the phaser like a band pass filter. Two crucial dub effects in one pedal. the problem is that the switch LFO/Manual is behind the pedal and the manual has no use when LFO is on! it's a shame!
BUT... with this trick the two are connected and you can change the center freq of the phaser and have a kind of enveloppe follower reactions depending on the positions of the pots. You can switch off this mod too and keep the original Bad stone controls...
For now the unique bad thing with the bad stone is the reaction on HiHats, it doesn't work like it should be! but maybe it's a bad capacitor because HHats are going out of the phaser spectrum with a bad distortion when feedback is at 100% and the LFO is at his high limits....beurk... any owner has this problem too?
here is the mod, nothing more easy than this:
i tried with a 500K vintage pot but didn't try other values for now. i got to practice with it to understand the reactions of the pedal and maybe i'll know if a lower or higher value pot is better than the actual 500K.
Peace and mods (and dub!)
Manu

I-TalSound

Post by I-TalSound » Wed May 19, 2010 7:12 pm

That looks like a real nice pedal and an even really really nice mod!

HH:
I have the EHX Stereo Polyphase, where the the low and top end of the frequency range can be set. If I let it phase high frequency signals up to the top I get distortion too. But thats no problem in this case...

JahNice

Post by JahNice » Thu May 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Oooh nice!!! a cool cool mod Manu, Respect! Hope to hear this one in your
productions sometime soon. I believe this will do a even better job than that
logic phaser. love the fishes in the background of the mod design
:-)

Peace

Yiannis

ocoughi

Post by ocoughi » Thu May 20, 2010 8:07 pm

The fishes were drawn by Amelia (2 years old smart little girl). she was not very excited by the phaser and she quikly wanted to draw fishes when i was speaking about bubbles and aquatik phaser sounds....
And the Bad stone is a masterpiece of my live setup. I'll play for the first time the 21 june on our sound system (Dub Addict Sound system) after months of work, setup modifications, tests of bounces on the P.A. and...equalizations!!!
it will be a 8 track live with a fostex D80 and 3 aux, bad stone,Re-201 and vintage Hammond Gibbs spring tank. Mixer is still the Yammy MC-1202. I'm waiting for a Korg GR-1 spring reverb these days cause i'm afraid that the gibbs spring tank will feedback a lot of sound in front of the sound system and be unusable in live conditions with loud bass! even with the high/low pass filter coupled with it...
It's long long time since i'm waiting to dub outside the studio! i'm quite stressed but very excited my friends! it's just the beginning of a new era for me: the live show, the exchange with the public.... still a lot of work and things to learn. New experiences ,goals to reach and problems to solve... life...
Peace,
Manu.