What is Dub?

Moderator: interruptor

omar the great

What is Dub?

Post by omar the great » Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:54 am

what is "dub" music? <BR> <BR>i honestly want to know.. <BR>is "dub lion" by coldcut what dub is all about? <BR> <BR>I always thought dub meant copy.. but "copy music" doesnt make sense.. <BR> <BR>Could someone, please, without philosophizing too much or getting into it too deeply, just what exactly "dub" music is??? <BR> <BR>Thanks a million, <BR>please? <BR>omar

interruptor

What is Dub?

Post by interruptor » Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:27 am

Dub was invented back in the seventies when jamaican producers found out that instead of putting just an instrumental version of a song on the B-side of a vinyl single they could create additional value for the buyer when they enrichen these versions by the use of special mixing techniques and effects like delay and reverb. Soon these special remix techniques established themselves as an artform called Dub. <BR> <BR>Nowadays the term Dub is used in a widely different manner by different people. At one end you have people who only recognize something as Dub if it is clearly based on a reggae tune. Some people claim that it's actually the mixing techniques which are important, not the type of music you apply it to. At the other end you see the term Dub sticked to lame instrumental versions of top 40 dance productions just as an excuse for not producing another real song for a CD-single. <BR> <BR>I think since the dubbing techniques are nowadays used in almost any kind of electronic music it does not make sense to use the term Dub unless there is some real reference to the original jamaican Dub of the seventies. This means there should at least be some sort of Reggae drumming or a Reggae bassline. <BR> <BR>For some examples of household names in this field check our <A HREF="http://www.interruptor.ch/cgi-bin/discu ... 1379">list of recommended Dubs </A>.

don wehunt

What is Dub?

Post by don wehunt » Thu Jul 24, 2003 12:15 am

that was an excellent explanation. i found this thread with a google search, while trying to learn the true meaning of dub. and i was also trying to learn its application in the context of house music, and your description shed a lot of light on the subject for me. <BR> <BR>thanks!

DELETED

What is Dub?

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:40 am

DELETED

DELETED

What is Dub?

Post by DELETED » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:37 pm

DELETED

DELETED

What is Dub?

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:26 am

DELETED