DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

classic 80s pop-click-scratch sound?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : DRUMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oontyex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: classic 80s pop-click-scratch sound? Reply with quote

** also posted this under keyboards/ synth but then realised that it would have been better to post it here - sorry for the double up **

Hi, new to the forum, it looks amazing from what I've seen!

Surprised

I play piano and organ in a reggae/ dancehall band in Australia (and also some percussion). I'm hoping to find that classic awesome 80's sound that was used to make the pop-click-scratch sound that drives the groove in e.g.

Jimmy Riley - Love & Devotion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYuCg8p1DY

and

Black Uhuru - Guess whos coming to dinner
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWEGXb2juvM

The closest I've come is my putting a very percussive sound from my hammond through an envelope - which makes a nice poping bubbly sound that works well in that vibe - but I'd love to get a wav (or 2 wav files?) that I could load into drum pads for it.

Wondering how they made the sound in these recordings (synth drum or keys synthesiser?) and if anyone has any wav files/ suggestions on how to replicate it.

Big thanks,
Jamie Smile Smile
interruptor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I think these are two electro percussion thingies played by Sly Dunbar. I remember seeing a Peter Tosh concert on TV decades ago where Sly had two of them attached to his drum kit. I zapped around youtube for a while but couldn't find that concert again..
Anyway the easiest way to get the sound would be to sample it from the Black Uhuru tune at around 3:17 where you can hear it solo for ca 2 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KWEGXb2juvM#t=194s
I'd say you owe it to yourself and to the creators of the music to at least buy the CD instead of sampling it from a mediocre mp3 rip (or even worse from youtube, brrr!)..

cheers
Daniel / The Interruptor
oontyex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan,
I was hoping to find out the drum
machine if was from so I could purchase that machine's samples or even try to get one. But, sampling from a recording sounds like a good back up plan.
Do you any suggestions on how to approach it? Like if I get their cd how to pull out a small section and turn it into a wav file?
I'm quite new to that sorry (had mostly played piano in a ska / rocksteady band , so the digital side is still new to me)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : DRUMS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: