DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended dub tracks?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> DUB RECORDS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the dub shack

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

greetings from the dub shack - essential dub must include:

King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown
Pick A Dub - Keith Hudson
Harry Mudie meets King Tubbys in Dub Conference - all 3 vols
African Dub Almighty (Joe Gibbs) - Chapters 1,2,3 & 4
Augustus Pablo in Fine style (Pressure Sounds)
King Tubby's Special 1973-1976
King Tubby presents The Roots of Dub/Dub From The Roots
Niney - present dub
Yabby U - Prophecy of Dub
Morwell Unlimited meets King Tubby
+ Blood & Fire King Tubby albums

compilations - Dub Chill Out, Dub sessions, both Trojan dub box sets

also check out Pole.

the dub shack
marauder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

Before I knew Lee Perry, Mad Professor and stuff I got into dub music via The Clash, believe or not. Armagideon Time, Ghetto Defendant or Bankrobber were good ports of entry for a whitey punk like me. I own a great deal of dub records now. These days I'm much into The Dub Factor by Black Uhuru
DubInTheCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

Greetings One & All

Well have read the above statements and agree with most of you. The likes of King Tubby,Lee Perry. Sly & Robbie, the best.
I also like what is happening in Europe now,
The Bush Chemists
Tena Stelin
Alpha & Omega
Barry Isaacs
Centry
To name a few.
For anyone new to Dub, try one of the samplers,
A New Breed Of Dub
Dub Out West
Dubhead Vol 1/2/3/4

Hey Zulu-Ite, How you Doing. Glen
Ghede

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

Two words.....Dub Syndicate.
DubInTheCity

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

King Shiloh a Holland reggae dub sound system is kicking now. Check out there king_shiloh_presents-lyrical_benjie_(ft_dezzi_d)-(ep)-2003-gmg
excellent example of modern day dub!!
Glen
ricardo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

i cant believe i havent seen UB40 "Present Arms in Dub" mentioned ... maybe not the best dub candy ever ....but certainly the most influential to me ...... i heard this as a kiddie and went on to enjoy the likes of pablo, tubby, perry ...the usual suspects etc ... and on to the likes of dry and heavy .... dub is timeless ....and if done digitally ...then the more organic and analog sounding the better .. its in everyone from lemon jelly to guitar peeps who like to twiddle knobs ... love n peas
ricardo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

king tubby meets the rockers is my desert island dub tho .....*essential*
JkP Free Stylii

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Great French Dub for you all : High Tone (http://www.hightone.org/) and Improvisators Dub (improvisatorsdub), best of the moment in French scene for me !

And one rare extra : Man From Wareika Dub by Rico Rodriguez (check it)(RicoD1977Warrika RicoD1977Man.htm)
kenny

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

eesy, anyone of the king -tubby. or 'i mas gan dub', or 'rema dub' of the observer, or 'dubin' sandra' scratch, an' the whole 'garveys ghost'
Bruce Hollihan

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

Although I can't argue with any of the above choices, I would like to suggest the Gregory Isaacs cuts ("Public Eyes", "Leggo Beast", "Nigger", "Slum", "Tam Tam", & "Leaving") from the Trojan Dub Box Set, Volume I.

They are very well done, and derived from good material as well.

If I had to introduce dub quickly to someone, I would use those cuts.
Mrs_Potter

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 12:57 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

Leftfield got me into dub when they played the essential mix on radio 1 back in 1994, a small part of the mix is a mighty fine dub mix which i still have on tape but well worn, i managed to track down some of the tracks but would love to get the rest to recreate that mix in its full crystal clear glory. Here is the track listing of that mix:
Mike Dread - "Machine Codes" (Kosmik Konundrums)
Moody Boys - "Fight Back" (Guerilla)
Mezzontinto EP - "Dub Experience" (St Germain En Layf)
The Disciples - "Prowling Lion" (Mix unknown)(Boom Shaka Lacka)
Alpah & Omega - "Jah Is Calling" (A&O)
After A&O it blended into dance music at which point i press rewind :)
ben

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

"Although I can't argue with any of the above choices, I would like to suggest the Gregory Isaacs cuts ("Public Eyes", "Leggo Beast", "Nigger", "Slum", "Tam Tam", & "Leaving") from the Trojan Dub Box Set, Volume I."

These titles sound familliar from the G. Isaac's dub album 'Slum In dub', was available from Trojan.
ben

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

Recently acquired....
Jah Rej (Various)- Messenges from the 7TH Sense, dub and vocal album, very good.
Restless Mashaits - Kingston Sessions. Instrumental & Dub.
Plus 2 wicked 12's from Dubkasm on Sufferah's Choice records, heavy heavy Aba Shanti style tunes!
paulo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

All this new dub is fucking shit (computerized garbage)
ricardo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

it sometimes amazes me how little digital technology is stretched and wrung out to dub .... as long as the methods used (be it digital or analogue...or both) can reach those pleasure centres in the brain ....

mad professor's "Kathmandu", the Orb "Towers of Dub" are examples i know of maybe fusing the two and possibly computerized ...but hardly garbage imo ...and plenty of that ilk ....

if anything is fucking shit ...its modern american ska .... totally spit souring

:)
dv

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

Scratch's dub mix of ark of the covenant

+ his dub mixes on the trojan compilation "open the gate"

dangerous dub - tubby

glen brown - termination dub

tubby's hidden treasure is patchy but occasionally sublime

re: the computer stuff. When you hear jah shaka's sound or aba shanti's sound play that stuff - it just sounds heavy and dubby - you can't hear how lame the cheap keyboards sound... it just rocks the house and makes your insides vibrate Razz

p.s. big shout to ariwa/MP crew - (just did a recording there - great guys)
tubbyrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

Scientist Rids the world..., or wins the world cup- its all classic
Peter M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

yes scientist + radics dubs of those Johnny Osborne tunes are killa!

check out the rough guide (easily the most serious coverage of the whole of reggae) to reggae chapeter on dub... Tubby, Gibbs, Perry Pablo, Brown, Scientist if u go with their top picks u cant go wrong...even if u dont agree with everything that Barrow says the essential picks are pretty unquestionable
dubudance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

one of the bst cd;s - SCIENTIST WINS THE WORLD CUP!!!

My favorite dubs would have to go to HUGH MUNDELL-africa must be free-mundell- and black mans foundation

OFcour KING TUBBY wiht the #1 sounds...any king tubby album is good

AUGUSTUS PABLO , jophnny osbourne.,israel vibration, prince jammy, and many more... i thank all these people for creating such great music...
b_easy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Recommended dub tracks? Reply with quote

the songs that really got me into dub were:
marcus - tubby
salty dub - tubby
righteous people dub - bunny lee and the aggrovators

and of course, anything by tubby is good...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> DUB RECORDS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: