Recommended dub tracks?

Moderator: interruptor

johny2bad

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by johny2bad » Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:06 pm

Check out the Israel Vibration Dubs for Album 'the Same Song'!!!! <BR> <BR>Leroy Horsemouth Wallace's Armagedion Dub was released in 2000 and it is killer!!! recorded in '78 <BR> <BR>Skatalites meets King Tubby <BR> <BR>New Solomon Jabby Tracks!!!!!!

Gavin

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by Gavin » Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:21 am

I'm noting that nobody seemed to mention anything by Joe Gibbs, the whole African Dub series is pretty stellar.

Sytry

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by Sytry » Fri Jun 28, 2002 4:32 pm

Susely I would suggest him for listenin' to "Dub Fire" by Aswad ,a long ,slow ,dramatic , hot masterpiece of Rootz Dub. <BR>Or I'ld suggest him for "Stoned Immaculate" of Dub Syndicate...no words!!!

dubost

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by dubost » Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:51 pm

Any of the Lp "The Red Sea" by Augustus Pablo. <BR>"Congoman" by The Congos. <BR>Any song of Loud & Lone.&#40;take a look to this group!&#41; <BR> <BR>Respect!

Nomad

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by Nomad » Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:44 pm

all of the ON-U Sound System recordings are worth checking out for newish more modern stuff like DubSyndicate and African Headcharge although their sister label Pressure Sounds has rereleased some killer old stuff like Santic and Israel Vibration. <BR>as for individual tracks or albums- <BR>Creation Rebel-Starship Africa <BR>African Headcharge-Pounding Sounds <BR> -Songs of Praise <BR>Lee Perry-Anthology&#40;a good beginning&#41; <BR> -any Black Ark era stuff <BR>Dub Syndicate-Echomania <BR> -Tunes From The Missing Channel <BR>Audio Active-Tokyo Space Cowboys&#40;my favourite&#41; <BR>Keith Hudson-Michael Talbot Affair <BR>Yabbyu and King Tubby-Jah Love Dub

JAS

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by JAS » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:59 pm

Being new to the Dub genre than most of any one here, I would say that anything by Lee Scratch Perry is a must, however my favourite is MONEY DUB. <BR>My all time favourites &#91;so far&#93; has to be <BR> <BR>Skylarking- Horace Andy <BR>Jah Jah Give Us Dub- Scientist <BR>Salty Dub- King Tubby <BR>Live & Love- Dennis Brown & &#42;Gregory Isaacs &#40;&#42;Reggae artist whos 'Rumours' got me in to Reggae and then later Dub&#41; <BR> <BR>I suggest you go out and buy "Dub gone 2 crazy" and "DUB CHILL OUT" albulms. <BR> <BR>As the new generation of hip hop, junglist and trance musicians rediscover this most dynamic of styles, DUB CHILL OUT present 23 original masterpieces from the diabolical laboratories of reggae's dub pioneers. <BR> <BR>I love dubs by ABA SHANTI AND JAH SHAKA... they will always be my favouritez and i will NEVER get bored of them. <BR> <BR>;o&#41; Please note that to enjoy any DUB, you need 2 have the speakers on maximum volume!!!! <BR> <BR>Peace 2 all Dubsters xxx

bin_ez

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by bin_ez » Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:37 pm

Jas, did you know that, seemingly the Lee Perry tracks on Dub Chill Out are not by him, but in fact King Tubby mixes? <BR> It doesn't detract from their greatness but its something people should be aware of.

JAS

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by JAS » Sun Jul 28, 2002 8:41 pm

eZ!! <BR> <BR>Tanx 4 lettin' me know- <BR> <BR> As you might be aware, I am simply an amateur to Dub!! ;o&#41; <BR> Thanks again bin_ez. <BR> <BR>Take it Eazy, <BR>Peace 2 all Dubsters xxx

john dillinger

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by john dillinger » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:08 am

my favorite dub is scientist wins the world cup, tracks #1 and #4. track 1 is dub version of johnny osbourne's 'love is universal'-track with singing is nice rootsy lover's style, but the dub is pure gangster drive by music, real hard and if you listen without trying to pay attention, scientist is doing some mad shit with the volumes of several tracks as well as wicked vocal dub snippets. <BR>track #4 is also johnny osbourne, 'in your eyes'. dub sounds so pretty and eerie, he freaks the piano riff and solo to sound like a busted up piano in a wild west ghost town! vocal snippets are super gangster, i am surprised no one in hip hop like underground or authentic groups like gangstarr or public enemy havent sampled this yet... maybe one day. <BR>all the otherscientist vs. albums are excellent, find'em on greensleeves, <BR>another cool dub is sugar minott 'jamming in the street' on black roots label 12" vine, the organ and keyboards a bubble and sugar sounds tight on vocals and space echo... <BR>respect! john dillinger

dubhead

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by dubhead » Tue Aug 06, 2002 1:03 pm

Any King Tubby&acute;s or Scientist&acute;s records...after this try Scorn&acute;s "Evanescence"

Notre-Dame-Des-Fleurs

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by Notre-Dame-Des-Fleurs » Mon Aug 12, 2002 12:55 pm

"Invasion" King Tubby &#40;they ARE really out there...&#41; <BR> <BR>"Sun is shining" rare instrumental version of this Nesta M classic featuring busting toasting by Jonnhy Lover

interruptor

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by interruptor » Tue Aug 13, 2002 9:33 am

i just realized that nobody so far mentioned these favourites of mine: <BR> <BR>- G-Corp : Dubplates from the Elephant House, released on Different Drummer, late nineties. <BR>G-Corp capture some of the authentic feel and groove from the classic dub / rocksteady / reggae era and bring it to these modern times making the best use of nowadays technology. <BR> <BR>- Manasseh meets the Equalizer, two albums "Pre Millenium Tension" and "Shining" released on Acid Jazz <BR>Beautiful productions from the mid-nineties. Good Balance of instrumental work and dub techniques. These albums opened my eyes for newer dub at the time.. <BR> <BR>- Scientist : "Scientific Dub", classic album from the seventies available on Clocktower Records <BR>Scientist's Dub wizardry meets with great instrumental work here. Some classic riddims like "Baltimore", "Drum Song", .. plus the great sound of King Tubby's studio!

ape

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by ape » Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:46 pm

KILLER contempo dub <BR> <BR>Ben Wa - Devil Dub <BR> <BR> <BR>A must have!!!!

Zulu

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by Zulu » Mon Sep 16, 2002 4:55 pm

Prince Far I & the Arabs - Dub to Africa <BR>One of the best dub creations ever! <BR> <BR>One Love, <BR>Zulu

Spore4321

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by Spore4321 » Wed Sep 18, 2002 12:24 am

oh man, i just love reading everybody stuff. rockin'...anyway, here are some of the things that put me in a dubwise style: <BR> <BR>SCORN: GYRAL <BR>AUTOMATON: DUB TERROR EXHAUST <BR>both of these whole albums are excellent. this is old scorn when mick harris still had a bass guitar in a corner of the box. dub terror exhaust is a bill laswell thing with him and just 1 or 2 other guys and not 12... <BR>VARIOUS: MACRO DUB INFECTION VOL.1 & VOL.2 <BR>these are both 2-cd compilations that i have to program on the stereo when i'm listening to them but the &#40;almost all&#41; rockers rock, esp. check out <BR>the skull v. ice and wagonchrist on vol. 1 and the irrationa steppas &#40;or however they spell their name&#41; remix on vol.2 <BR>VARIOUS:COVERT OPERATIONS <BR>VARIOUS:DUBBED OUT IN DC <BR>these are 2 compilations put out by the thievery corporation guys. more, maybe, on the lounge side of dub but you can put either one of these on almost anywhere and set your groove... <BR>DON LETTS:DREAD MEETS PUNK ROCKERS UPTOWN <BR>out fairly recently, this is all stuff that letts suppossedly spun on his soundsystem in london 1975-76 and helps reconfirm that the '70's were a golden era for dub and reggae. nice blend <BR>THE CLASH: BANKROBBER/BANKROBBER DUB & THE GUNS OF BRIXTON paul simonon knows how to play the bass almost as good as keith richards <BR>AUGUSTUS PABLO:KING TUBBY MEETS ROCKERS UPTOWN <BR>TAPPA ZUKIE IN DUB <BR>SCIENTIST:DUB IN THE ROOTS TRADITION <BR>MIKEY DREAD:DUBWISE <BR>the mickey dread is still one of my all-time favorites, even if i've only got it on cassette. <BR>and finally, <BR>the bush doctor PETER TOSH, <BR>the orb ALEX PATTERSON, <BR>and MR. WILLIAM S. BURROUGHS <BR>all put me in a dubwise style... <BR> <BR>over & out <BR>spore4321

BingyBunny

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by BingyBunny » Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:30 am

I'm a little new to dub but I just love it. Prince Far I's Message from the King just blew me away &#40;Blackman Land, the title track, &#41;, and I also have Dub to Africa &#40;highly recommended&#41; and, of course, Under Heavy Manners; I never tire of Scientist &#40;Rids the World; Heavyweight Dub Champion; Meets the Space Invaders...love those Roots Radics; Dub in the Roots Tradition&#41;; Glen Brown/King Tubby's Termination Dub is very worthwhile; the Mango Reggae Greats Lee Perry compilation is a great place to start &#40;love Jah Lion's Wisdom!&#41;; The Upsetters Super Ape; The Congos; of course, King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown and all the other amazing Augustus Pablo stuff. <BR> <BR>I know this is all heavy on the roots -- and probably old hat to many on this board -- but I am working my way into the newer stuff, through Dub Syndicate &#40;Pounding System is great, but I think Stoned Immaculate is even better&#41;and I'm on the lookout for more &#40;Alpha & Omega, etc.&#41;. <BR> <BR>Dub is for music now what blues was for rock in the 70's. To me it's like a universal language. <BR> <BR>Thanks for listening!

bin_ez

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by bin_ez » Sat Sep 28, 2002 6:51 am

The roots are the best!

BBMatic

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by BBMatic » Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:52 am

yes my youths <BR> <BR>if any of you have broadband and are so inclined i will e-mail you an mp3 of ijahman levi's "I'm a Levi" completely unreleased jamaican dubplate music - 3 cuts so its quite long and therefore a big file. but a truly legendary dubplate well woth checking. i also got more of that kind of thing on mp3, shitloads of rare reaggae music w/dubs, we can try a ting still. if that interests you e-mail me: <A HREF="mailto:burnlamche@mac.com">burnlamche@mac.com</A> and ask me for the ijahman dubplate... or other dubs.. <BR> <BR>respect to one and all on this forum, but forgive me for sayin.... all these 'dub roots' and 'space dub' albums &#91;etc etc&#93; that people are namechecking, well, they're just compilations mainly, from tunes that were usually originally released as pre's on 7" often in very small numbers & with a harder mix - then if a tune went down well they would usually water the mix down somewhat and then release it on some english or US 12" mix. 7"s are obviously harder to find but the heaviest mixes of all were reserved for dub plates, acetates made exclusively for sound systems that never saw general release. believe me when i tell you - there ain't one album ever been released, that actually contains real jamaican dubplate music - e-mail me for this ijahman tune and you'll see what i mean... <BR>guidance. mind you, there were exponents of the highest order working from the UK and USA too - a couple of people mentioned aswad - the best live reggae band ever to emerge from the uk but you should hunt down their more obscure tunes like 'Natural Progression' or 'Children of The Rainbow'. Seriously heavy music. <BR> <BR>Lastly: to hear some real dubplate music, and also read more information about dubplate music in general visit my friend russell bell-browns most excellent webpage at: <BR><A HREF="http://www.btinternet.com/~russdbsl/1dubplate.html" TARGET="_top">http://www.btinternet.com/~russdbsl/1dubplate.html</A> <BR> <BR>there are two pages of mp3 clips well worth a check - there is one especially amazing dubplate on there with which i have an obscure connection: 'Guide Us Jah" - Johnny Clarke -- awesome music <BR> <BR>on the same page, also look out for 'Sinners Repent' - another unreleased johnny clarke tune that simply blows anything else away. <BR> <BR>e-mail russell, tell him how good his page is. i friggin' love it. music like that man... <BR> <BR>guidance. b.

BBMatic

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by BBMatic » Sun Sep 29, 2002 1:59 am

i'll also big up the people who mentioned 'starship africa' - creation rebel. an original work by a truly innovative band. <BR> <BR>but come on guys -- all these cd compilations, while welcome, are just scratchin' the surface here

BBMatic

Recommended dub tracks?

Post by BBMatic » Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:59 am

also, check: <BR><A HREF="http://theboomboomroom.dyndns.org/theboomboomroom" TARGET="_top">http://theboomboomroom.dyndns.org/theboomboomroom</A> <BR>you will often hear some good dub from a variety of djs <BR> <BR> <BR>and also check www.dublab.com - the 'dubstream' is well worth a check...