I need help .

Moderator: interruptor

Bookie man

I need help .

Post by Bookie man » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:44 am

I want to know how i manipulate my recording.I've just got a Tascam portastudio 424,and play bass,guitar and ive got a drum machine. But i really havent got a clue on how i change/mix/manipulate the sounds. <BR> <BR>Can I do this by using a boss delay pedal or do i need them big rackmounted things? <BR> <BR>Theres an 'effects send' and 'effects' knobs but i dont know how to use this.Im an absolute beginner to the whole recording world. I read the basics page, but there isnt an 'aux' on my recorder, there is an 'effects send',but im still confused about everything .Could someone tell where i put the effects in and how it all works. Any comments on how to record some good dub on a 4-track portastudio are very welcome. <BR> <BR>Thanks very much.

Neil C

I need help .

Post by Neil C » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:47 pm

I'm not going to try to answer everything you might want to know - but you would just need to connect the effects send on your Tascam to the input of an effects unit &#40;eg a boss delay&#41; and the output of the effects unit to the effects return on the Tascam. <BR>Your Tascam I expect will have an effects &#40;FX&#41; control for each channel &#40;it will need to have if you want to dub&#41;- that will determine how much much of whatever effect/s you are using will be mixed in with the original sound coming from that channel. <BR>The effects send/return is basically the same thing as an aux. <BR> <BR>Doing as I describe above, I think, would be a good first step to dubbing it up on your Tascam. <BR>You don't need a big expensive fancy delay - a guitar pedal would do fine for you in your current situation &#40;and may remain fine even in a more upmarket setup&#41;.

boofnpeng

I need help .

Post by boofnpeng » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:12 am

The Tascam does not seem to have dedicated fx returns, so you will have to return your echo to one of the spare inputs, 5 or 6. I think you can also use the `effect to tape` to send a signal to a next effect, reverb, and you can return that into one of the spare inputs too.

Neil C

I need help .

Post by Neil C » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:11 pm

I see, I've just looked at the manual. Boofnpeng is right. <BR>The effect 1&2 knobs on each channel determines how much of that channel's signal goes out of the corresponding effects send output. <BR>I would output from effect 1 send and you would need to return to channel 5 &#40;or to channels 5&6 if you have and want to use a stereo output from your effect/s&#41;. <BR> <BR>So to put it very plainly- You need to connect the effect 1 send to the input on your effect unit and connect the output from your effect unit to the '5/mono' input. Thus your connections are made. <BR> <BR>There are other routing possibilities, but thats what I'd do if I just wanted to add delay.

Bookie man

I need help .

Post by Bookie man » Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:52 am

thanks very much,i got it all working. <BR> <BR>THANK YOU

DELETED

I need help .

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:37 am

DELETED

DELETED

I need help .

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:04 am

DELETED