DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bass strings and tune

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : BASS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: bass strings and tune Reply with quote

this very "round" and fat sound, buttom
boost, but yet preccise and with enough
expressive attack, people say they use
"flat" bass strings, i tried once, they
were to dead, so what is it ?

could i keep the round-wound by eqing ?

And how about detuning my riverhead 4-
string for going deeper than low-E , or
is it better done with a 5-strings ?

HM
LeChat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: bass strings and tune Reply with quote

the best dub bass tone ive gotten was with a cheap yamaha p-style bass with very old roundwounds, i think they were even light-guage. so who knows? you can just get a single low B string and restring your 4 string as B-E-A-D, 'cause that low b is nice. also, old organ speaker amps sound cool. personally, I think part of a great bass tone is mic'ing a real cab.
HM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: bass strings and tune Reply with quote

Thanks for the wievs, I was not aware that
special B-strings was available but could
imagine that a special string might be good
compared to detuning a E string out of range

Bassist from Danish band "bass and trouble"
detuned the E a moderate one note to D must
be very confusing and not a good way getting
used to play :-)

Maybe a 5 string model would be preferable
adding a low B on the top of the 4 normals

Just i love my 4 string Riverhead headless

HM
Evan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: bass strings and tune Reply with quote

HM: You might try a different brand of flatwound strings. I've had bad luck with fender strings. Sour and thin and dead sounding.

You can always use roundwounds and kill all the treble, but it doesn't quite do it for me.

Drop-D tuning is pretty common in rock music, to match guitar players playing drop-d. You get used to it.
HM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: bass strings and tune Reply with quote

yep,... d-thing sure,... I would like to
"kill the treble" another way also, some
time you need some crispy over-tones, it
is good to have a wide spectrum on the
source-sound especially when you intend
to use the filters under mixdown,.. you
might even need the high-spectrum in the
source in orde to achive a certain dark
sound in the last end,.. Mad-P uses real-
bass more than one would expect,. its all
filters,. this nasal hollowness,.. :-)
victorx

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:45 am    Post subject: bass strings and tune Reply with quote

i have a yamaha bass with the p-bass 'special' style two pickups, but i never use the single-coil pickup near the bridge, just the split pickup up near the neck. tone is only about half way. i use lots of compression and don't boost the tops on the pre-amp either.

the amp is pretty important, lately i've been using a bass pod which gives you the ability to select the amp you want. 60s or 70s amps are the go here.

i play with my fingers, picks seem ugly things to me.

i've got roundwound strings, been meaning to get some flatwounds, never got around to it (this bass is only a couple of years old). but flatwounds are definitely the way to go, i had flats on my first ever bass 20 years ago, an early 1970s vintage jazz bass, it was a beautiful instrument, wish i still had it (stolen). when i replaced it i got the shock of my life, until that time i just thought all bass strings where flatwound! (ahh the ignorance of youth).
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: bass strings and tune Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: bass strings and tune Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : BASS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: