The Rocker goes downtown 8 incl. dubsiren- White Lion

Moderator: interruptor

White Lion aka Amenbrothe

Post by White Lion aka Amenbrothe » Sun May 16, 2004 10:17 pm

A dubby techtune I just finished using the dubsiren. <A HREF="http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3 ... 29478&q=Hi" TARGET="_top">http://www.soundclick.com/util/streamM3 ... 78&q=Hi</A>

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Mon May 17, 2004 11:34 am

If I had heard this without any description, I wouldn't be thinking it was dub. <BR>IMO- I thought elements sounded a bit dated &#40;circa 1988 to 1995, which is not long enough ago for a revival yet&#41;, especially the snare. Also, I thought the vocal sample was repeated too many times &#40;and sounded dated&#41;. <BR>But I don't want to be discouraging. Keep at it.

Per aka White Lion

Post by Per aka White Lion » Mon May 17, 2004 4:57 pm

Thanx for the feedback. Not pure dub is it &#40;but the dubsiren is in it&#41;, and havnt listen much to the newer stuff either so I havnt much to compare with. Been producing d&b since 2000, but this my first serious attempt to make a dubby tune, more influensed by the Desciples and Rootsman from ca 1995 than the newer stuff, I asume which I havnt listen to. I think I might be a little lost in this genre and thats why Im sticking to what I know, maybe. <BR> <BR>Can you recommend any newer dub. It would be nice. I have lots of old classics but not very much of the new stuff. <BR>Cheers Per

White Lion aka Per

Post by White Lion aka Per » Mon May 17, 2004 5:04 pm

By the way the drum set is just a plain 808 909 setup.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Tue May 18, 2004 3:48 pm

I can't specifically reccommend any recent dub, I listen mostly to 1970's dub. My favouite CD &#40;box set of 3&#41; is the 'Arkology' compilation of Lee Perry. <BR>This doesn't mean I think that new dub should be slavishly copying 1970's dub, I'm all for innovation and the use of all the sonic options that are now out there &#40;I use a lot of electronic sounds myself, but I do also try to emulate aspects of the 70's stuff&#41;. <BR> <BR>It seems to me a lot of present dub which gets praised in dub circles &#40;circles which are often deeply conservative&#41;, is made with bad drum and bad synth bass sounds &#40;I prefer real bass in general &#40;although the right synth bass sound might work better in a particular track&#41;, and generally naff sounds &#40;please no more synth brass&#41;, and most of that stuff I don't like much. But thats just my taste. <BR>There is ,though, I expect good stuff being made as well. I'd also like someone to reveal some modern stuff I'd like to me. I've heard some stuff by Alpha and Omega that I liked more than the average fare, but I haven't heard a whole album and I can't name any. I saw Adrian Sherwood live a couple of years ago, and he turned in an excellent set which fused modern and 'classic' styles, I think his 'Never Trust a Hippy' album might be what some of the set was from &#40;but I haven't heard it&#41;. <BR> <BR>I got turned on to dub by Dreadzone's 'Second Light' album from 1995, which remains my benchmark. It combines elements of techno type dance &#40;which was what I was into then&#41; and dub. It has aged quite well.

Per aka White Lion

Post by Per aka White Lion » Tue May 18, 2004 4:40 pm

Cheers, thanx for the tips. Will check em out.

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:46 pm

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:38 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:26 am

DELETED