Fostex 3180 - what tanks are used inside?

Moderator: interruptor

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:18 am

I considering buy one but the seller is concerned the springs will break in shipment. So I'm wondering if it would be fairly easy to replace the tanks with Accutronics ones if they the springs do go. Any idea?

interruptor

Post by interruptor » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:01 am

instead of getting ready to replace the tank you could also ask the seller to open the machine and cushion it out with old newspapers to prevent the tank which is suspended with springs to be slammed around. also the space around the springs inside the tank could be cushioned with cotton.

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Tue Nov 23, 2004 2:51 pm

The person who sent me my Spacexpander &#40;from the USA to UK&#41; packed it ultra-thoroughly, he'd even removed the valves and wrapped them in their own indiviudal bubble wrap cocoon &#40;and I'm still removing the little polystyrene packing chips from my floor - they seem to like those in the States&#41;, but he didn't do anything to stop the springs moving during transit. There is, though, no apparent damage to the spring tank so the whole thing does seem pretty resiliant &#40;and its survived 20/30 years as well&#41;. <BR> <BR>Interruptor's advice, though, is spot on, and if I was sending a spring tank I'd certainly do something to prevent the springs from being slammed around. The springs in my tank seem pretty tough, so it would be the suspended transducers that they are attached to that I'd worry about. <BR> <BR>I forget the link but the site that sells the accutronics tanks- does anyone know exactly what of the many models is the closest match to the Spacexpander tank? They don't seem too expensive by the way. <BR>And has anyone replaced a working old tank with an equivalent new one - did it improve the sound?

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:05 pm

Hey guys, thanks. I just saw a picture of the inside of a 3180 and it would be very easy to cushion the springs. <BR> <BR>For Neil C, here's a link to a place to sells accutronics tanks...under Guitar amp parts: <BR> <BR><A HREF="http://www.tubesandmore.com/" TARGET="_top">http://www.tubesandmore.com/</A>

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:05 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:58 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:58 am

DELETED