DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hohner Melodicas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : MELODICA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rale M

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: Hohner Melodicas Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone would be able to comment on how Hohner HM-32 and Hohner HM-36 melodicas compare sonically (other than HM-36
obviously having 4 extra keys and being of better build quality). I have never owned a melodica, so I was wondering if HM-32, being about $100 less expensive one, would be an okay solution. I would eventually use it for recordings, so if there are any issues such as excessive key noise, I would like to know about it.

I was initially interested in adding an instrument - not a synth or sampled sound - like Bandoneon (smaller accordion), but after hearing some of Augustus Pablo's music, I thought that melodica could do the job. I do however, like the
accordion timbre, more than harmonica, so a melodica that sounds closer to accordion would be one of my choice.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rale
Mike Zee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Hohner Melodicas Reply with quote

from what I see hm-36 has different reeds... it may sound more like accordion while hm-32 may sound more like harmonica. it's just my guess... also hm-36 have full piano-sizer keys, and 32 has large keys, but the white keys look like are a bit shorter than full size. I may be wrong. My guess that 36 actually may be better built instrument overall, ment to be pro-instrument. Good luck getting the one you'll be happy with.
/Mike Zee aka Dr ZEE

MZEntertainment.com
Rale M.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Hohner Melodicas Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, Mike! I will probably end up getting HM-36 since everything I read about it so far leads me to believe that of all melodicas its sound might be most accordion-like, which is what I am looking for. As you noted, it does seem like a well-built instrument, which would be a reason more to go with it.

Thanks again,
Rale
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : MELODICA All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: