Help!! Wanna start dubbing!!!!

Moderator: interruptor

Matt

Post by Matt » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:57 pm

Hi ppl. <BR> <BR>Ok this is where I'm at... <BR>I'm well into punk music which has got me into ska/roots which has in turn led to me listening to dub quite a bit. <BR> <BR>Basically, other than writing punk songs and playing guitar along to roots music I have no production experience. <BR> <BR>I just wanna know whats the best way for me to get around to starting up. I've looked at the the threads on here but Im pretty swamped to be honest. I also live in south Wales so it's difficult to get to know people who're into such music. <BR> <BR>Any help MUCH appreciated, feel free to msn me or email <a href="mailto:matbur59@hotmail.com">matbur59@hotmail.com</a>

DiGiT

Post by DiGiT » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:34 pm

well basically youd want something preferrably analog to record to, a tape delay, a spring reverb, a phaser pedal or two, some amps, a melodica, a horn section, your regular bass, guitar, organ, drums, etc etc. but once you have all that, the rest comes from you! or so id say. it seems to take a certain time to know a style. part of knowing a style is confidence. you may bring something to the style, instead of it dictating what you write. or so we all hope. you gotta know the rules to break em! now to learn the dub idiom!

Neil C

Post by Neil C » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:14 pm

Digit describes an authentic to the gear of the 70's classic era of dub approach. Fair enough. <BR> <BR>If you want to do productions on your own then you would be foolish not to look at a PC/Mac based system using one of the now quite a few decent multi-track recording applications. This is the most cost effective/powerful approach. <BR>You can reproduce a 70's sound with this or go digidub. <BR> <BR>If you already have a decently powerful computer you would just need to get an audio interface &#40;usb/firewire or PCI&#41;, which you can get a decent one of for around £100. Some come bundled with very decent multi-track applications well good enough for starting with. <BR> <BR>It is a bit overwhelming getting into home production if you are new to it, so much gear and software out there. <BR> <BR>If your'e asking how to write dub I agree with Digit. You need to listen to enough of it and you'll absorb the style. <BR> <BR>If you want to find other people to play dub with - good luck! <BR> <BR>If you want us to expand on one of these areas let us know.

Downpressor

Post by Downpressor » Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:52 am

if you already have a recent Mac, chances are you have GarageBand installed. You can use that for recording and I wrote a short tutorial on the basics of dubbing in GB at <a href="http://soundsystem.metalgear.org/" target="_blank">http://soundsystem.metalgear.org/</a>

CofDUB dfdf

Post by CofDUB dfdf » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:40 am

You need something, like a 4 track tape recorder, to record your original tracks. Then you need to run the tracks through a mixer. The you can add effects like delay and reverb to the tracks as they go through the mixer and get recorded on the other side of the mixer by another recorder of some sorts.

christyanity

Post by christyanity » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:15 pm

<a href="http://www.myspace.com/thatsmurkage" target="_blank">www.myspace.com/thatsmurkage</a> - listen to my dub

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:02 am

DELETED

DELETED

Post by DELETED » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:09 am

DELETED