DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Release a re recorded riddim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> OTHER DUB PRODUCTION TOPICS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DubRed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Release a re recorded riddim Reply with quote

Hi,
i need info in what is needed to release a riddim thats was not written by me.
For example get a classic riddim, re record all instruments and release it.
Has anyone here done a thing like this before?
Thanks Dred
Zutao

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you asking about legal stuff? If so it depends on the jurisdiction where you live.
In the general sense, yes that's how reggae has been spread around, since the 1960s. Someone would play a song at a dance, and if people liked it then it created a demand for the riddim. In some cases the song and/or riddim is very old and has been 'versioned' for a very long time. An enterprising producer would hire some musicians and record a version of it in his studio or else paying for studio time, and in the 70s they would release many instrumental versions ('dubs') and sometimes entire new vocal versions as well to make the instrumental tape go further.

DubRed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Zutao,
thanks for the reply, yes the legal way..i contact PRS and they said i have to fill out a form with how many copies and at what price i will be selling each
and then they calculate the price i have to pay them. When is done i will give more info if anyone's interested.
DRed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> OTHER DUB PRODUCTION TOPICS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: