DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : DELAY : TAPE DELAY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sebastian p.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

I've got a roland re-501 tape delay. The tape is always getting tangled. I make loops out of quantegy 456, always getting eaten. Is Their a better tape to use? Is the exact length of tape important?, I've made some internal adjustments of the tape path, is it there? Any help is appreciated.....s
Looter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

Go find a 8-track cassette and pry off the shell. The tape used in these is silicone "lubricated" for long life. Right now I'm using Leonard Bernstine live in concert to load my tape echos! Very Happy
Neko

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

I've got a RE-201. Quantegy 456 is not bad but I prefer Quantegy 457, which is thiner and well lubricated (sound is beautifull). You have to use a new tape, not a 30 years old one, because older are dead after a single week, stick on the tapeheads and are getting tangled. I think 456 is just too thick.
Length is not very important, but 3 meters long is enough for a tape loop.
Looter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

Older 456 is known to suffer badly from "tape shed", sitcky binders in the tape come off as it ages and breaks down. One way to fix it is to bake your tapes in an oven set to low heat, of course.

I've never tried any AMPEX tape loops in my echo chambers but my experience has been that most reel-to-reel tape formulations tend to stick to the surfaces of the transport and end up wrapped around the drive capstan.
dsil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Just picked my secondhand Korg SE500 today and i think she's in serious need of some cleaning and revitalising.

With it i got a tape-head demagnetizer, actually from fostex, but i think i can use this.

What kind of tape can i use to make a new one? I reccon its the same tape for all machines, but it could be i'm wrong?

Does anybody have more tips n tricks for maintenance??

Thnxz in advance
Looter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

Get a 1/4" splicing block and some old 8-track carts.
DigitalIndian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

Just be sure not to touch any metallic part of your machine (specially the heads), with your demagnetizer otherwise you risk to magnetize permanently some part and get a useless machine
DELETED

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

DELETED
DELETED

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: roland TANGLED tape delay (re-501) Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> EFFECTS : DELAY : TAPE DELAY All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: