DUB DUB DISCUSSION BOARD
A place to discuss the production techniques of dub music.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Siren DIY
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : DUB SIRENS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toby E

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2001 5:34 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

Hi, is there anybody out there who knows where
i could get schematics to build a siren (i've done
it once with my guitar distortion and it worked out pretty well)...
Jah !
Nematod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 7:50 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

try craig andertons book ' electronic projects for musicians' , it might have something , but its been a while since i read it...
nem

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 7:59 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

actually i'll just contradict myself , seeing as a siren is a basic synth and not an fx processor it probably wont be in that book , but if you know a bit about soldering etc it shouldnt be too hard to make. its a typical VCO>VCA + LFO set up , and isnt too hard to make , but given that you could build a decent synth with not a lot more you're probably better off doing so , unless of course you want siren sounds only .
interruptor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 1:13 am    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

I was recently thinking about building a siren myself. I searched the net for instructions but didn't find anything you could use "as is". There are quite a lot of sites around with schematics for synthesizers. But I think these schematics are oversophisticated as they feature temperature compensation which is not necessary for a dub siren. (A siren doesn't have to be in tune..)
I came across some basic schematics which may be useful as a starting point for experiments:

- basic audio frequency oscillator

The next two schematics are taken from a electronics experimentation kit for kids
("Tonhohe" means pitch or frequency, "Lautstärke" means Volume, The "NF-Modul" is a amplifier module that can be used to connect the circuit directly to a speaker. You don't need this since you already have a sound system I guess ;-)

- tunable oscillator

- simple siren - press and release the interrupter "Ta" to let the siren pitch increase and decrease.

I ended up buying a second hand dj-sampler which allows me to use some dancehall-style samples too. So my investigations on how to build a siren ended after that...

If you decide to build your own siren it would be very interesting to know about the circuit you are using for publishing it here.

hope to hear from you again!

Big Up
Daniel aka The Interruptor
Toby E

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 3:40 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

i'll take the notes here and try to do something about them - thanks for the time being ....
I'll report when (and if) i succeed :-)
munky lee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2001 6:43 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

hi,

this is a circuit diagram for a siren.
explications are in french.

there is potentiometers for tone, frequency of oscillation and range of oscillation.
you can modify it to change frequency of oscillation and tone. to do it, change c1 and (or) c2.
you can add a switch selector to put different capacitors, so you will have different possibilities of frequencies.

I just received this circuit, and I'm going to build it as soon as I can. actually in august, most of electronic shops are closed, so I wait september.
I don't have any idea if it sounds goods, but it seems...

munky lee
Toby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 2:42 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

HI all !
i've built the Siren, it works very well,
especially whn you run it through a massive
delay... i'm gonna set up the soundsystem
next friday afternoon on the beach and have
the box with me, jah bless.
If anyone here lives in Israel (which i guess you
don't) contact me via e-mail for more details.

BTW, anyone has more effect schematics ?
Toby
The Interruptor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2001 3:52 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

Congratulations Toby! Did you use the schematic
supplied by Munky Lee? It would be great if you
could write a small documentation of your siren
(maybe even with pics and realaudio-file).
This would be a big help for other likeminded
people!

BigUp
Daniel aka The Interruptor
Toby

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2001 8:18 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for the encouragement...
after the gig on the beach next
friday i might sit down, write a few
words, and might even add in some stuff for
you to see/hear.

much respect for Munky Lee & Daniel
munky lee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 12:02 am    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

so tobby,
do you have some pictures, maybe mp3 of my siren I've never built???!!!
the reason why : I actually save some money to buy the russ d. one. lucky me...

mat (aka munky lee)
interruptor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2001 10:12 am    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

Toby sent me a report/article about his
siren and an mp3 file some days ago.
I'll publish it here on this site as soon as I
get the pictures he is preparing right now..
interruptor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 11:53 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

OK. Toby's report with mp3 file and pictures
is now online at
http://www.interruptor.ch/dub_diysiren.shtml

enjoy!
dUBsTA aka zAd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

Hi all,
first of all big up 2 Daniel for setting up this joint , a pretty unique place indeed :)

then I'd like 2 know your opinions on this small idea I've had: a square wave with adjustable frequency (say 0-or-so-to-300 Hz) , to trigger on & off the sounds from your deck ( from only one aux possibly , not the main out Very Happy ) , which is again fed into maybe an echo unit..
The problem is that I'm not that sure on actually how to build this thing... vco>transistor ?

I'll post again here (I'm planning 2 build the siren - thanks Mat for posting it :) ),in the meanwhile shoutz go out to all the true dubheads..

Bless
snowirie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

http://www.masterkit.ru/main/set.php?num=358
http://www.masterkit.ru/main/set.php?num=356
http://www.masterkit.ru/main/set.php?num=498
http://www.masterkit.ru/main/set.php?num=347
http://www.masterkit.ru/main/set.php?num=351
can clic in right corner to listen
slothbecker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

y'all,

i was curious what a "dub siren" was, but it turns out i had already made one on the cheap out of a "magical musical stick", one of those dollar store keyboard sticks. take it apart, pull out the small circuit, snip the pitch resistor and solder in a 500k-ohm potentiometer in series with it, for siren sounds you can pitch down to a fat rumble. solder a switch between the 2 membrane contacts, and you've got a siren. maybe costs about $10, and would take about an hour to make and recase.

i've got mine wired into one of those halloween voicechanger toys, for tone variation. nice, cheap 'n dirty.
Nibru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:34 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

Greetings, i wanna know if somebody can give me a schematicpln like this.
http://www.interruptor.ch/images/siren.jpg

For the dub sirene from munky lee?
It would be very nice, me have a little pit problems to read his schematic plan.
It would it be nice if you can send me thi with a list of all Pieces that im need.
Can some body do that please?
Me overstand english an the german language.

Give thanks foryour help

Ras Nibru

Jah Love
H. S.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

I was just wondering how low that siren can be tuned...?
interruptor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

H.S.: have you heard the mp3 demo over here?
http://www.interruptor.ch/dub_diysiren.shtml
Steve Subronix

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

I have just constructed a dubsiren from the circuit posted on this site.

It works fine, except if you keep your finger on the button for more than about 20 seconds the signal breaks up and gets nastily, speaker rippingly loud.

Any suggestions to what is going on. I am running it from a 9v battery.
dubolik

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Siren DIY Reply with quote

Yo yo

There is a new manufacture of dub sirens.
You should check out this link - http://www.no1derland.com/Sounds/Sounds.htm
They have also bunch of other stuff like theramines etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DUB DISCUSSION BOARD Forum Index -> INSTRUMENTS : DUB SIRENS All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: